Career

How to Make Your Passion into a Career

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

As a college student, I’ve noticed people have become desperate for money and settle for a job, such as McDonald’s, which gets them nowhere near their lifelong end goal. It pays, but it doesn’t fall into the career of their dreams. Usually, dreams start out as a hobby, turn into a passion, and then finally become something you can’t quit nor go on without. People dream about coaching their own soccer team or becoming a bestselling author. How do you go towards your dream career? Where do you begin?

You may not get there immediately. Oh boy, does it take time. In the meantime, though, maybe getting a job at McDonald’s isn’t a bad idea—but the focus should be your dream.

I cannot say this article will fit every possible passion because the options are truly endless. However, I’ve been able to turn my own passion into a part-time career as a college student myself. It grows every day, but it takes time and effort. I’ve learned that all we truly want is the end result: for our dreams to be accomplished and for us to be rewarded. The truth is, you must enjoy the process of your passion developing, or you will never go on to get to that end goal. And with that, this leads to the first step regarding how to turn your passion into a career.

1.     Enjoy the process.

Personally, my passion is photography. In my first semester of college, my visual communication professor emphasized the saying “trust the process.” This is a quote I’ve been following for about a year now, and I completely understand what he meant. You learn as you go, and whatever happens is practically fate. Trust your knowledge, education, or training, and keep going. This step can apply to many other things in life, too!

2.     Don’t give up!

You’re going to encounter challenges no matter what. Sometimes, you may overcome these difficult moments; other times, however, you may fail. I don’t mean that you’re going to fail overall with the pursuit of your passion and never reach your end goal, but you will have ups and downs.

Winter-time is the worst for me. I live in Minnesota, and no one wants to do a photoshoot in negative 20-degree weather. Can you blame them?

Moral of the story: in life, you might fail or lose, whether it’s your dignity or a game you’re playing. It’s up to you and your level of passion for your hobby to get up and show that you stand out. Age especially—if you think you’re too young to pursue your passion—is not a reason to put it off to the side and start later.

3.     The power of word-of-mouth

Believe it or not, one of the biggest ways my business started booming was because I just wouldn’t shut up. If you show people how passionate you are about your hobby, they’ll see that and support that dream of yours.

I’ve told people I’ve written on Her Campus and am the social media manager for the Winona State chapter’s account. Many times, my peers don’t even know what the club is, but after I explain and tell them to check Her Campus out, they tell me later they’ve read my articles! Telling your friends and family about your passion shows how important it is to you, and they might even tell others about it.

4.     Share! Share! Share!

Nowadays, it’s so easy to share your hobbies or passions online with just the click of a button. The biggest outlet is Facebook. On Facebook, you’re connected with your friends and family already, and they can easily share whatever you post—which is great for getting the word out. Facebook pages for an individual or group can also be created. Advertising is super important , as well. A person who is consistently posting content stands out and that by itself makes the process of making their passion into a career look even stronger.

5.     Reach out.

Don’t be scared to turn to others who have a career or are successful in your intended field and ask for advice. While they might be viewed as your competition, remember that at one point they were in the same boat that you currently are in! I emphasize the phrase “cooperation over competition” because it’s so important to reach out when you’re first starting out.

There is nothing wrong with reaching out to someone with more experience to talk with or even gain experience. Some of my favorite moments of this process came from talking to someone I look up to. For example, I got to meet Colleen Stoxen from the StarTribune, and I learned so much about photojournalism that day. It was a dream come true. I also sat down for coffee with another photographer, and she gave me basic tips about booking, making a visual template for bookings on weddings, and pricing.

Don’t be shy to come out of your shelleven if you embarrass yourself, meeting someone experienced within your field will put you one step closer to achieving your dream than where you were yesterday.

6.     Take it one step at a time.

It takes more than a single night to create a business, become famous, or achieve your dream job. There are multiple steps in every field to reach a goal. Take classes, keep growing to improve, and eventually your dream will come to you, as well as its reward. Sometimes the best award is just the satisfaction you receive.

7.     Remember why it’s your passion.

Every career is different, and honestly I have yet to get to my personal end goal. Sometimes I forget my photography started as a hobby, and every now and then I remind myself the importance of photography in my life by taking pictures alone. Whatever your hobby or passion is, find the time to reflect on why it’s important to you in the first place, or why you’re willing to turn it into a career. If you keep going, it will be recognized by others and that is how you turn your dream into a career.

If you think through these tips and follow them, people may notice you and your dream. You could be hired or grow in status. It sounds simple, but it really takes time that you must be willing to put in. In the end, it’s always worth the effort to be happy!

Natalie Elle Tyler is a senior at Winona State majoring in Creative Digital Media. She is minoring in Dance, Creative Writing, and Journalism. Natalie manages her own photography business. When she isn’t writing, she’s either doing a photoshoot, hanging out with friends, or dancing. Her ultimate dream is to make book covers through her photography while having the time to be a freelance travel photographer or photojournalist.
| 2018-20 Club President/Campus Correspondent | Hailey Seipel is a senior at Winona State University who is studying Applied & Professional Writing and Journalism. She has been passionate about writing ever since she was little, and a dream of hers is to author poetry, sci-fi and romance novels. Until then, she is interested in working as a creative/blog writer, technical editor or project coordinator after graduating. In her free time, Hailey enjoys listening to music and reading leisurely.