On How to Be a Procrasti-Napper: 5 Best Places on Campus to Catch Some ZZZs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

College is exhausting. One of the best ways I personally know to combat everything college throws at me is a nap!

So, for National Public Sleeping Day, which is observed on Feb. 28, I decided to write a short list of napping destinations for the Winona college students who are looking for a place to curl up and get a quick recharge. 

• Science Laboratory Center (3rd Floor): For all those stressed and frenzied students from the College of Science and Engineering, one of the best-kept secrets of your domain is the lounge on the third floor. With plush chairs and couches, it’s quiet and serene. However, it does come with a steep trek up those stairs—you know the ones—so you might need to slow your heart rate before you partake in some rest and relaxation.

• Baldwin Lounge: Right above the WSU Bookstore lies this treasure-trove for a power nap. Sure, the area is marketed as a quiet place to study and work in groups, but that just makes it a sweet setting to take a little siesta. The chairs have wheels, though, so beware of snoozing too hard and rolling away or onto the floor. 

• Minne Lounge (2nd or 3rd floor): This area can be a hub of activity and surrounded by classrooms. In fact, it’s one of the buildings with the most diverse courses housed inside, so there’s never a shortage of new people. But if you feel the need to collapse somewhere, an empty couch on the 2nd or 3rd floor of this building isn’t the worst place to catch a cat-nap. 

• Darrell W. Krueger Library (3rd floor): Much like Baldwin, this area is reserved for quiet, individual work. But last time I checked, napping was a solo event, so snoozing there seems to be ideal and fall within the parameters. I may be the only one, but being surrounded by stacks of books makes me feel oh-so-cozy, so it’s a win-win for me.

• Relaxation Room (IWC): I don’t know how many people know about this resource, but there’s a dedicated room in the Integrated Wellness Complex as part of Counseling Services for, well, relaxing. It’s a haven for students who need a break throughout the day, and it can definitely be in the form of a short nap. Located on the second floor, its hours are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. On Thursday, the resource is available from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. 

While this article is all about places to catch some ZZZs, I hope it wasn’t a snooze-fest to get through. Wherever you choose to sleep on Feb. 28, make it nap-tastic!

My name is Hannah Hippensteel, and I like to say I'm a Chicago city-slicker, but I'm actually from the 'burbs. I'm currently a senior at Winona State with a major in mass communication-journalism and a minor in sociology. Catch me enjoying all Winona has to offer: the bluffs, the incomparable Bloedow's Bakery, and not to mention, Minnesota boys. With a goal of working at Teen Vogue, Seventeen or Glamour magazine, I'm soaking up every opportunity to keep my finger on the pulse and share my personal voice!
| 2018-20 Club President/Campus Correspondent | Hailey Seipel is a senior at Winona State University who is studying Applied & Professional Writing and Journalism. She has been passionate about writing ever since she was little, and a dream of hers is to author poetry, sci-fi and romance novels. Until then, she is interested in working as a creative/blog writer, technical editor or project coordinator after graduating. In her free time, Hailey enjoys listening to music and reading leisurely.