Holiday Nail Design

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

For those that know me, it’s obvious that my favorite fashion accessory is my nail polish! I am always trying new designs, finding new colors, and looking up new things to try. In my opinion, there is no better time to try out something new to do to your nails than the holiday season! Red, white, green and blue are my go to colors. There is nothing easier than giving your nails a candy cane look. Just start off with a bright red and add simple white stripes, or starting off with a bright royal blue and use white to make a snowflake pattern. Adding sparkles to any nail polish design is the easiest way to add some pizzazz.

You can also get really detailed and paint Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer, or Santa as an accent nail. I usually do the biggest design on my ring finger. These designs are a little more complicated; however, if you’re patient and keep your hand steady, you’ll be able to create whatever design you’d like to celebrate the holiday season! I use Pure Porcelain by ORLY to make the face for Rudolph. Then, just add a simple red dot for the nose, and black dots for the eyes and antlers. Use your entire nail as your canvas for Santa. It’s really just about sectioning off your nail using the red and white at the top for his hat, leaving space for his hat, and then white at the bottom for his beard. Santa’s suit is another easy design just using stripes and The Statement Piece by Loreal for the buckle.

There are still plenty of designs to do before and after the holidays. The season of Winter is still a great reason to make your nails look festive! Using a toothpick is the easiest way to add dots to a snowflake design or just to add polka dots to a dark green or blue to represent a starry night sky. You can also use a toothpick for the eyes and mouth of snowman  on your accent nail.

Good luck trying some new designs for the winter season! If anyone has a new idea or tries anything out, let me know or send us a pic! Happy Holidays!

Miranda is currently a Winona State University senior studying mass communication with an emphasis in advertising and is also pursing a graphic design degree. In addition to being Winona State’s Campus Correspondent, she is also the president of WSU’s Advertising Federation club. When she’s not busy binge watching One Tree Hill for the umpteenth time, you can find her working on her longboards, which she creates from scratch. She is a Diet Coke addict and indie music enthusiast filled with passion and imagination. She plans to get out of chilly Minnesota to find internship opportunities after graduation.