Fifty-One, Fifty-Fun: For My Dad on His Birthday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

My family has such a huge place in so many of my articles; they’re some of my greatest role models and muses. My dad, however, has only ever really had honorable mentions. So I thought to myself, “what better time than on his birthday to dedicate an article to him?” There’s some “thank yous”, some “remember whens”, some “I hope thats”, some birthday messages from loved ones, and just a handful of the life lessons you’ve been able to gift me with…happy birthday, Dad.

Thank You’s

1. Thank you for… encouraging my affinity for Jeopardy and trivia in general. Did you know that some of the Tournament of Champions episodes are on Netflix? Let’s watch!

2. Thank you forgiving me a superb taste in tunes. Without you, it would have taken many more years to hear and truly appreciate the musical stylings of The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and other greats.

3. Thank you for having great pride in your Hoosier roots and sharing that with Mom, Zoe and I.

4. Thank you forconsistently expanding my cultural palette. I mean I don’t know many other 19-year-olds that have eaten octopus, saganaki, or tripe tacos.

5. Thank you forbeing such a good provider for our family.

6. Thank you foralways answering what may seem like asinine sports questions to you when you’re just trying to enjoy a game. I’ll always enjoy doing football math on the couch.

7. Thank you for being a great listener.

8. Thank you foralways being prepared to make my favorite casserole when I come home from school. Although with my part-time Minnesota residence, I suppose I should start saying hot-dish now.

9. Thank you foralways finding time to indulge me with unabashed silliness that leaves me in side-splitting, hysterical laughter.

10. Thank you for granting me with some of my favorite Dad-isms, like “I’m too well to attend,” “you bet your bippy,” and many, many others.

Remember When’s

11. Remember whenyou taught me how to ride a bike? I bruised myself and a few trees in the process. But once you learn, you never forget. Especially because you were my teacher.

12. Remember whenyou, Mom, and I sat and watched the Cubs win the World Series? #FlytheW

13. Remember when Zoe and I managed not to spill the beans about your 40th surprise party at Anyway’s?

14. Remember whenwe had all our fun family excursions in Florida? Trapeze, the airboat ride, and Tree-umph are three things I’ll never forget!

15. Remember whenyou were a good sport about competing in the parents relay for my senior year? Yes, you did beat me; but it was only because you did 25 meters instead of 50 meters like me.

16. Remember when you disillusioned me to the world of magic? It’s okay, because having a dad like you is magic enough for me.

17. Remember when you borrowed that Lululemon jacket of mine on a cold college tour when you forgot your coat? You are insistent that you wear it better than me, but the embarrassment partly prevented me from attending there.

18. Remember when I got you hooked on Project Runway during that one sick spell I had? It’s still one of our favorite things to watch together. WWTGD: What would Tim Gunn do?

19. Remember when I gave you the first piece of WSU apparel? I was so excited to tell you my decision, but I knew you’d be proud of me no matter what.

20. Remember when we saw the comedy show? Jim Gaffigan kept us laugh-igan, and I’m glad that despite the comedy of errors with Amtrak, the show was my first (short-lived) trip home last year.

I Love That’s

21. I love thatyou laugh at my jokes, whether I was trying to be funny or not—and that I’m able to do that same thing for you.

22. I love thatyou’re so passionate about helping people in your line of work. It inspires me.

23. I love thatyou are so close with your parents because it allows me to connect more with my grandparents.

24. I love thatyou’re not afraid to be vulnerable and cry during movies, namely Mulan.

25. I love thatI can talk to you about my sociology minor because it’s something you also studied.

26. I love that you are always up to the task of killing bugs we find in the house.

27. I love that you learned the names of all the Jonas Brothers: Kevin, Joe, and Nick—and the bonus Jonas, Frankie—in return for Zoe and I memorizing the Celtic’s modern day Big 3: Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, and Ray Allen.

28. I love that we can talk about books.

29. I love thatyou’re my dad.

30. I love thatwordlessly, you’re able to tell me that you love me.

I Hope’s

31. I hope this yearyou discover some great new birds and call me excitedly to share.

32. I hope this year you’re able to see the Vikings get to the Super Bowl. SKOL!

33. I hope this year you read some more incredible books.

34. I hope this year you’re happy and healthy.

35. I hope this year you and Mom get to go on more adventures.

36. I hope this year you soften Mom’s mind about getting another dog. Preferably another basset hound.

37. I hope this year you eat as many salted caramels as your heart can take.

38. I hope this year you win a bunch of golf games.

39. I hope this yearyou solve every Sudoku on the first try.

40. I hope this year you don’t change how remarkable you are.

On Your Birthday’s

41. On your birthday, Bruce and Judy said, “Dan was born about a week and a half before his due date on November 18 in Angola, Indiana. It was also one of the coldest winters on record. From a very early age, he developed a voracity for reading chapter books about nature and animals; he was always begging for just one more chapter before bed. This love of reading further developed into watching the Cubs standings in newspaper, as well as the comics. He’s had a love for that team ever since. As he reached school age, Dan was just itching to learn and made a mad dash for the the school bus every day. We often thought to ourselves, “the day Dan stops running to the school bus is the day we go down to the school and see what’s wrong.” He had, and has, a passion for learning, but one thing he detested was his time in chorus. We had all our kids, Amy, Beth, and Dan do band or choir through junior high. Dan wanted to play the drums, but we had a trumpet that one of the girls had played—that did not tickle his fancy. So, choir it was. But as much as he didn’t want to admit it, that less-than-voluntary decision helped him find an appreciation for a wide style of music which he later has said he’s thankful for. One example of this was at his wedding during the mother-son dance, according to Dan, the song just “had to be Nat King Cole because I was the only kindergartener who could sing his melodies.” Dan’s friends throughout life have remained genuine, but one of our favorites of Dan’s friends was Doc. When we moved, he was someone who Dan gravitated towards; he was 80 years old and a retired police deputy. Dan was young at this point, and Doc inspired his preliminary life goal of being a police deputy Monday through Friday, working as a doughnut maker in a bakery on Saturdays, and a preacher on Sundays—he always was ambitious! He was always also a great student with impeccable attendance with only ONE absence throughout 1-5 grade from the flu and zero missed days from 6th-12th grade. Dan has always been a champion for the underdogs; that character developed very early in life, but he still strengthens it in his line of work. There are so many stories we could share with you, and most of them are good—although we don’t know everything he did (said with a chuckle). We love him very much and hope he has a spectacular day!”

42. On your birthday, Skip and Edie said, “(E): Happy birthday to the guy who enjoys any and all chocolate desserts I make for Sunday night dinners! (S): I enjoy your love of sports and of reading. Both provide great times as we “hang out” in the family room over dinner and dessert. AND, you like my cooking. Happy Birthday, Dan!”

43. On your birthday, Aunt Amy said, “Happy birthday to my little brother! I have adored you since the moment we met. We don’t see each other often, but know you are always in my heart.”

44. On your birthday, Aunt Beth said, “Happy birthday to my little brother, fellow Pokemón hunter, book advisor, pigskin pick opponent, and friend!”

45. On your birthday, Boris said, “I have never really understood the Superman comics. By putting on a pair of glasses, Superman becomes Clark Kent and Lois Lane, who is madly in love with Superman, never recognizes him. Yet how often do we search for heroes and overlook those around us? I have watched Zippy for years: first as a friend, then as a husband, and later as a father. I have tried to emulate his example, but he takes these three ordinary roles and makes them extraordinary. I am fortunate enough to call him a mentor and friend and wise enough to recognize him for what his is—a super man in plain sight.”

46. On your birthday, Ray said, “Happy birthday, Dan. Miss the days of crashing the neighbor’s pool during the summer!”

47. On your birthday, Gator said, “He’s like a brother to me: an older, slower, uglier, balder brother. I love everything about him. Happy birthday, buddy!”

48. On your birthday, Sam said, “I was impressed by Dan the moment I met him. Dan is a leader in both our church and community and observing his achievements in life motivates me to be a better man. For that reason, I have always enjoyed being around Dan. However, there are two particular times that I am glad to have Dan around… One is on the golf course. He always makes me feel better about my game as his is so bad. The second is any time we are both not wearing hats. His baldness makes me feel so much less self-conscious of my receding hairline. He is a great friend and awesome to have on the golf course when it isn’t sunny enough to wear hats.”

49. On your birthday, Lynn said, Happy Birthday, honey. The first time we met, I knew in my heart you were the one. I choose youeach and every dayto be the one I continue to love and cherish. I’m a pretty lucky woman; but you’re an even luckier guy. I don’t know how you handle my craziness sometimes, but I promise to always love you!”

50. On your birthday, Zoe said, “You are the best dad anyone can ask for. I will always enjoy going to see Star Wars and the new Marvel or DC movies with you. Keep making your bad dad jokes and blaming your farts on the “barking spiders.” Have a wonderful day, and don’t forget— I’m your favorite child!”

51. On your birthday, Birdie said, “I can’t wait to see you make a wish on your birthday candles; if I were you, I’d probably be licking them. Hope your day is PAW-some!”

I hope that even though I’m not home to celebrate this day with you, this article shows you just a sliver of how much everyone in your life loves and appreciates you, myself included. It’s been fifty-one years with Dan B. Hippensteel on the planet, and I can say confidently it’s a better one because of that. Hope you had a ginormous slice of Portillos chocolate cake, and just know I can’t wait to see you in just a few days. Love you so much!

Sources

Cover

My name is Hannah Hippensteel, and I like to say I'm a Chicago city-slicker, but I'm actually from the 'burbs. I'm currently a senior at Winona State with a major in mass communication-journalism and a minor in sociology. Catch me enjoying all Winona has to offer: the bluffs, the incomparable Bloedow's Bakery, and not to mention, Minnesota boys. With a goal of working at Teen Vogue, Seventeen or Glamour magazine, I'm soaking up every opportunity to keep my finger on the pulse and share my personal voice!
| 2018-20 Club President/Campus Correspondent | Hailey Seipel is a senior at Winona State University who is studying Applied & Professional Writing and Journalism. She has been passionate about writing ever since she was little, and a dream of hers is to author poetry, sci-fi and romance novels. Until then, she is interested in working as a creative/blog writer, technical editor or project coordinator after graduating. In her free time, Hailey enjoys listening to music and reading leisurely.