Do Your Part: Earth Day Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

The first Earth day was celebrated on April 22, 1970. It  began as a celebration in the United States, but now it is celebrated in over 192 countries. It is important to do what we can to help keep our planet a clean and efficient place to live. Not sure where to start? Don’t worry; we have a few easy ideas for you to get started and do your part!

Skip buying bottled water

o   Purchase a reusable water bottle and fill it with filtered water from your sink.

Bring your own mug to the coffee shop!

o   Starbucks takes 10¢ off your drink purchase when you bring in a Starbucks reusable mug!

Recycle your old electronics like old cell phones, computers, etc.

o   Do not put them in the trash!

Use compact fluorescent bulbs (CFL)

o   CFL bulbs consume 75% less electricity, and also last up to 10 times longer.

Unplug things when you’re not using them

o   It will not only save energy, but also save you money!

Use reusable grocery bags

o   Skip the paper AND the plastic.

Hang dry clothing

o   This will also make your clothes last longer.

Turn your computer off at night

o   Even on sleep mode it is sucking up energy!

Shop eco-friendly beauty products

o   Did you know popular brands like Tarte and Burt’s Bees are eco-friendly?

Meet our writer Courtney D. Jones! Courtney is a junior at Winona State University majoring in Mass Communications- Advertising. She is consistently busy juggling school, working two jobs, and on the recruitment committee for Sigma Sigma Sigma sorority, so coffee is a necessity. But not just any coffee, it must be Starbucks Blonde Roast, with a dash of peppermint mocha creamer and a fourth of a packet of sugar. She has a die-hard love for all things beauty and fashion, and dreams of owning everything on her Pinterest boards one day. With her bright and bubbly personality, she loves meeting new people and sharing a good laugh. As a Chicago native, her happy place consists of drinking a cold microbrew with her favorite Giordano’s deep-dish pizza while watching her beloved Bears team.
Katie is an avid wine connoisseur with an appetite for travel, journaling, a loaded bloody mary and of course, persuading the masses with the help of her PR education. Her current passions reside in creating trendy outfits at T.J.Maxx, rocking her Birkenstocks, finding new Indie artists and daydreaming about backpacking after graduation. She is a firm believer in equality and finding peace within society. She is always down for a fun time, while being fabulous and fierce.