Different Majors = Different Backpack Contents

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

I am a marketing major in the College of Business at WSU. I have been climbing the Somsen stairs to the third floor every time I have class since day one, but I am blessed with minimal requirements carried in my backpack for the various classes I take. The most I ever need on a daily basis is my laptop and an occasional pencil for tests, but I actually carry a lot more.

Knowing how minimal I could be, my laptop and a pencil, got me thinking: What do other majors around campus carry in their backpacks? So, I did a little digging into the other colleges at WSU. 

College of Education (COE)

“Got to check to see if I have my recorder!” said senior elementary education-early education major Kyla Marley. This is a regular phrase that can come out of any COE major. Things these majors could carry around can range from cut-outs of astronauts glued to a Popsicle stick to a lesson plan, and everything in-between.

College of Liberal Arts (COLA)

The programs within COLA are vast. You all took an art class at some point in our lives, so we know the necessity of art supplies for an art major; but what about a major like mass communications? Well, those majors that are seniors are currently going through their senior capstone campaigns. Victoria Norris, including her peers, can be carrying around their binders, cameras, etc. at any given moment.

College of Nursing & Health Sciences (CONHS)

If you do not already know how many textbooks CONHS majors get in their course packs, go to the Bookstore, see the price, and cry if you are a CONHS major or be grateful you do not have to carry around all those books if you are not a CONHS major. Senior, fourth term, Heather Solberg shared her stack of textbooks and nursing equipment with me, and I could not be more respectful of CONHS majors and their relationship with Darrell.

College of Science & Engineering (COSE)

This was the one college on campus that was difficult to figure out because most majors within COSE were in their countless lab hours they have to attend. My BF is a chemistry major from another school, and enlightened me on some things a COSE major may have carried around: goggles, droppers, beakers, petri dishes, Q-tips, and leaves only scraped the surface.

Meet Nicole Knutson: Originally from Rochester, Minnesota, this senior is majoring in marketing at Winona State University. Between Her Campus, AMA, and classes, she tends to be working at Caribou Coffee while most of you are probably still sleeping, then working for athletics on the weekends. During what seems to be rare spare time, she enjoys being with her friends and roommates, watching her favorite shows or movies, or working out at the IWC. Once post-college life hits, she aspires to move out to a big city to pursue her marketing career. Until then, she loves calling Winona home.
Meet our writer Courtney D. Jones! Courtney is a junior at Winona State University majoring in Mass Communications- Advertising. She is consistently busy juggling school, working two jobs, and on the recruitment committee for Sigma Sigma Sigma sorority, so coffee is a necessity. But not just any coffee, it must be Starbucks Blonde Roast, with a dash of peppermint mocha creamer and a fourth of a packet of sugar. She has a die-hard love for all things beauty and fashion, and dreams of owning everything on her Pinterest boards one day. With her bright and bubbly personality, she loves meeting new people and sharing a good laugh. As a Chicago native, her happy place consists of drinking a cold microbrew with her favorite Giordano’s deep-dish pizza while watching her beloved Bears team.