This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Name: Derek SmidtYear: SeniorHometown: Galesville, WIMajor: Exercise ScienceRelationship Status: Single

Meet this week’s campus cutie, Derek Smidt. Between his love for the outdoors and chicken wings, this fellow will definitely catch your attention with his big smile. Next time you are at Market, make sure to spot out this cutie and give him a quick shout out.

HC (Her Campus): What do you love about Winona?DS (Derek Smidt): I love everything about downtown, especially working at Market. It has allowed me to meet so many new people.

HC: Where are you most likely to be spotted in Winona?DS: The Well, Blooming Grounds, and Market.

HC: Which is your food of choice: American, Chinese, Mexican, Italian, etc.?DS: I like almost everything. But are chicken wings a food group?

HC: What is the first thing you notice about a girl?DS: Definitely her smile and her teeth.

HC: What is a deal breaker with any girl you meet?DS: How girls act towards other people, if they treat others poorly that is an instant turn off.

HC: Can you describe your ideal first date?DS: I would take her to Punch Pizza on Lake Calhoun in the cities where we would have good conversations.

HC: Who is your celebrity crush?DS: I have three: Eva Mendes, Niykee Heaton, and Jhené Aiko.

HC: If you were on American Idol, what would you be singing?DS: You don’t want to hear me sing, but if I did, it would be “I Will Always Love You” by Whitney Houston.

HC: Do you have any guilty pleasures?DS: I secretly keep tabs on HerCampus and read a lot of the articles.

HC: What is the best thing you have ever recorded with your GoPro?DS: Well I have only had it for 2 weeks, but I would have to say hiking Camelback Mountain in Arizona.

HC: If you had to choose an actor to play you in a movie, who would it be?DS: Well, a lot of people have told me that I look like Shia LaBeouf. I liked him on Even Stevens, so I wouldn’t mind him playing me.

HC: You are a rather tan guy, is that genetics or Sun Tan City?DS: Genetics, my dad is very tan actually.

HC: What’s something people would be surprised to find out about you?DS: I am very weird about smells. I mean like most people, I like things to smell good.

HC: If someone were to walk into your room, would they be able to find the floor?DS: Yes. I am not an over the top clean freak, but if there is too much of a mess it will give me anxiety.

HC: Because you work at Market, what is the craziest thing you have seen working?  DS: On homecoming I was carrying a bucket of ice up to the bar and I asked a guy to move, and his girlfriend turned around and slapped me in the face and told me I was “ugly and mean”.

HC: If you could create a drink after yourself, what would it be?DS: I love beer so I would name it McSmidt Golden Light.

HC: Who is your role model, and why?DS: My Dad, because he is a very hard working person and growing up he always helped me in sports and would coach the teams I was on.

HC: What is your dream job?DS: One day I want to be a strength and conditioning coach for pro athletes.

HC: Describe yourself in 4 words.DS: Kind, confident, hardworking, and honest.

HC: Do you have any words to live by?DS: This is something I made up, “Be kind, be thoughtful, be generous, work hard, and don’t settle”.

HC: How does it feel to be nominated for campus cutie?DS: First and foremost, I would like to personally thank the person that nominated me. It is an honor and good to be recognized.

Miranda is currently a Winona State University senior studying mass communication with an emphasis in advertising and is also pursing a graphic design degree. In addition to being Winona State’s Campus Correspondent, she is also the president of WSU’s Advertising Federation club. When she’s not busy binge watching One Tree Hill for the umpteenth time, you can find her working on her longboards, which she creates from scratch. She is a Diet Coke addict and indie music enthusiast filled with passion and imagination. She plans to get out of chilly Minnesota to find internship opportunities after graduation.