Cinco de Mayo Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

With Cinco de Mayo being on a Thursday this year and the last day of finals, you have no reason not to celebrate! I think Cinco de Mayo might have bumped itself on the top of my list for favorite holidays.  How could you not love this day dedicated to tacos, guacamole and margaritas? Well, technically it is a Mexican holiday marking the victory of Mexican troops over French forces in Mexico on May 5, 1862.  The amazing food is a plus.  There are many delicious foods that you can have on Cinco de Mayo but I put together a must-haves list that you cannot skip out on.

Tacos

Hard shell? Soft shell? Both! Tacos are an absolute necessity on Cinco de Mayo.  Whether you make them at home or go out to eat, you can’t go wrong.

Guacamole

Guac might be one of my favorite sides ever.  It is cheap and easy to make.  You can really make it however you want.  As long as you have avocados you’re on the right track.  And if you don’t feel like making it yourself, El Patron has some of the best guac I have ever had!

Margaritas

It wouldn’t be Cinco de Mayo without some margs, right?  El Patron and Mango’s both have delicious margaritas.  I’m sure they will be having some deals this day.

Nachos

Nachos are easy to make yourself at home or they are a great appetizer if you are out with your friends.

Fried Ice Cream 

Don’t forget dessert! You can’t fully experience Cinco de Mayo unless you have fried ice cream.  I will admit, it doesn’t sound the most appetizing but it is actually so good.  I think it would be difficult to make at home so I would recommend ordering it at your local Mexican restaurant. 

There you have it!  Those are the top Cinco de Mayo essentials.  You really can’t go wrong with any of those foods.  Happy celebrating!

Meet our writer Courtney D. Jones! Courtney is a junior at Winona State University majoring in Mass Communications- Advertising. She is consistently busy juggling school, working two jobs, and on the recruitment committee for Sigma Sigma Sigma sorority, so coffee is a necessity. But not just any coffee, it must be Starbucks Blonde Roast, with a dash of peppermint mocha creamer and a fourth of a packet of sugar. She has a die-hard love for all things beauty and fashion, and dreams of owning everything on her Pinterest boards one day. With her bright and bubbly personality, she loves meeting new people and sharing a good laugh. As a Chicago native, her happy place consists of drinking a cold microbrew with her favorite Giordano’s deep-dish pizza while watching her beloved Bears team.