Best Beard In Winona

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

November has come and gone, but we’re still savoring the facial hair of the men on the Winona campus. What exactly is it that made men agree to grow out their facial hair for an entire month? Many ladies enjoy seeing the beards and moustaches that November brings as much as men like growing them, but not many people know of “Movember’s” origins.

In 1999 the term “Movember” was coined by a group of Australian men who wanted to raise awareness surrounding men’s health, and what better way to do so than to grow a moustache. Over the years, Movember became a worldwide phenomenon and today the charity has funded “800 programs in 21 countries that are saving and improving the lives of men affected by prostate cancer, testicular cancer and mental health problems” according to their website. Movember’s slogan brilliantly captures the group’s mission, “Changing the face of men’s health”.

In October, Her Campus Winona asked for those who think they have what it takes to claim the title of Best Beard In Winona to send in their clean shaven selfie by October 31st.  Now that November is over, we have asked for one more selfie from our contestants to observe the progress they have made.

Voting begins today, Monday, December 1st and will run through Sunday, December 7th. You can vote for your favorite beard by heading over to our Facebook and “Like” the photo of your favorite beard! Contestants may share their photo and rally for votes to claim their Best Beard In Winona title, along with a $20 Zaza’s gift card!

Her Campus Winona encourages you to donate with us to the Movember cause to promote men’s health!

Check out our contestants and be sure to vote for your favorite facial hair!

*Voting will end at 11:59pm on Sunday, December 7th and the winner will be announced on Monday, December 8th.

Miranda is currently a Winona State University senior studying mass communication with an emphasis in advertising and is also pursing a graphic design degree. In addition to being Winona State’s Campus Correspondent, she is also the president of WSU’s Advertising Federation club. When she’s not busy binge watching One Tree Hill for the umpteenth time, you can find her working on her longboards, which she creates from scratch. She is a Diet Coke addict and indie music enthusiast filled with passion and imagination. She plans to get out of chilly Minnesota to find internship opportunities after graduation.