This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

We are the millennial generation and we are labeled as unmotivated and high maintenance. While in many instances we can ALL embody these characteristics, I’m proud to say we defy these labels every day. We are the up-and-coming generation and we are ready to take the world by storm.

Though we are set in the present, we know when to take a step back and appreciate all that came before us, including the fast-changing music scene. From pop, hip-hop and R&B, to country, rock and alternative, we never fail to forget those anthems that have brought us through the toughest times.

Here is a list of the music of our generation that has guided us through life:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6304098/billboard-hot-100-hits-2000s

1.     I Gotta Feeling – Black eyed Peas

No one will ever forget this New Year’s Eve anthem of 2009. The Black Eyed Peas have always brought chart-topping hits, but “I Gotta Feeling” is sure to give you incredible nostalgia for those nights with the best people.

2.     Eye of the Tiger – Survivor

It only takes the first two seconds of this song to know exactly what kind of mood you are about to be in. “Eye of the Tiger” is definitely an anthem of our time and gives you that motivational push you need to tackle the day’s activities.

3.    I’ll be Missing You – Puff Daddy, Faith Evans, 112

All. The. Feels. This song has so much emotional power and leaves you in deep thought about that one person you will never forget.

4.    Lose Yourself – Eminem

Yes, we did just sing every word with complete determination in the mirror. Talk about a powerful motivational anthem of our time. Eminem sure knows how to bring our your inner warrior with this one.

5.    Boulevard of Broken Dreams – Green Day

A classic rock ballad of our generation. Green Day sure knew how to make you second-guess your choices and live your life to the fullest at the same time.

6.    Dirty Little Secret – All-American Rejects

What ever happened to the All-American Rejects? Everyone was sure to jam out to this song when it came on.

7.    A Thousand Miles – Vanessa Carlton

Immediately break out into a White Chicks movie scene remake! This song is sure to bring back tons of great memories.

8.    Dilemma – Nelly ft. Kelly Rowland

Was there ever a song that wasn’t a hit from Nelly?

9.    Wonderwall – Oasis

A large portion of the millennial generation were still making their way into the world when this hit released. Though a lot of us didn’t hear it till later, it still became a smash hit in our lives.

10.  Teenagers – My Chemical Romance

This one just couldn’t be more fitting…

11.  Baby Got Back – Sir Mix A Lot

It only took the first few seconds of this classic party anthem to run out on the dance floor and bust a move with your friends. Still to this day, this song never gets old.    

12.  All Star – Smash Mouth

Shrek anyone? Everyone sang this “Smash”Mouth hit from beginning to end when it came on.  

13.  Oops!… I Did it Again – Britney Spears

We all know you sang this in your bedroom into a hairbrush. Though it took us many years to finally know what this song was about, all you knew at the time was this was YOUR song and you slayed it.

14.  Stacy’s Mom – Fountains of Wayne

Supposedly, Stacy’s mom really had it going on, but we were too busy singing the catchy song to notice.

15.  Thnks fr th Mmrs – Fall Out Boy

No one could help but love Patrick’s incomparable voice. Also… Pete Wentz. #TeenageHeartThrob

16. Hollaback Girl – Gwen Stefani

This hardcore rock anthem was sure to bring out the diva in everyone.

Meet our Campus Correspondent Mariah Mrotek! Originally from Racine, Mariah is a Mass Communication Advertising major with a Professional Writing Minor. You can usually catch Mariah loving up the cats at the local Winona Area Humane Society or getting her last minute shopping fix at Target. She is an avid writer and believer in the power of intuition. As an advocate for the Minnesota Epilepsy Foundation, she strives for change. She really enjoys the fall season and the amazing honeycrisp apples it brings. Her ideal place to vacation at is a cabin up north by the lake. Mariah hopes to continue to see and enjoy the world’s beauty after graduation as she pursues a career in Social Media Content Management or Project Management.