This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Ah, it’s almost that time of year where suddenly the only music you hear is Christmas music. I personally wait until Thanksgiving to break the music out, but this year I might have to make an exception. Christmas music has always held a special place in my heart due to its joyous melodies and simple lyrics that can unite any group of people. However, I love when pop artists put out Christmas covers or original songs for the season of good tidings. So here I am today to recommend to you what I think are the top five Christmas songs put out by some awesome pop artists. 

1. “White Christmas,” Mason Ramsey

Mason Ramsey is more formally known as the “Walmart Yodel Boy,” however his name deserves to be known around the world. His rendition of “White Christmas” was released when he was just 11 years old, and you’d never believe it by how talented he is. He puts his own spin on this classic and it warms my heart every time I listen to it, which ashamedly is way more often than just during the Christmas season. 

2. “That’s Christmas To Me,” Pentatonix 

Pentatonix are well-known for their yearly Christmas albums, and it’s for good reason. Their harmonies are so different from anything most artists are doing. Overall, this original of theirs is my favorite because it really does capture the feeling of the Christmas season. The warm harmonies and the soft lyrics make me feel so warm and fuzzy inside when I listen to it and once I break this song out, I know it’s time to feel merry. 

3. “Mistletoe,” Justin Bieber

This is a classic. Justin Bieber may not rule the radio as much as he did when he was in his teens, but there’s no denying the power that this song holds. His whole Christmas album is a must-listen, but this song especially brings that merry feeling. The catchy but simple lyrics are so easy to sing along to with friends while decorating cookies or putting up the Christmas tree and if you listened to this song in your early teen years, you’ll feel so nostalgic this Christmas.

4. “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas,” Sam Smith

Sam Smith’s soulful voice with just a soft piano background? Sign me up. His floaty falsetto is exactly what I want under my Christmas tree this year. This cover of a classic is perfect to spruce up a Christmas playlist and keep it fresh with familiar voices! 

5. “Last Christmas,” Taylor Swift

This might be my favorite on this list. This song gives me “walking through the mall shopping for Christmas gifts” vibes, and it might be because during Christmas this song is always playing on the radio. And for good reason! Taylor Swift can hold a classic melody line, and that’s for sure. Her sweet voice sells this cover, and I would buy it and wrap it up in a gift bag. 

Christmas might not be my favorite holiday, but the Christmas season brings so much joy to me and many others. So many artists are embracing this. Ariana Grande released a whole Christmas EP and the bar is being raised by the Jonas Brothers and Liam Payne both releasing their own original Christmas songs. I think many other pop artists should follow suit and give us some new classics to pass on. 

Merry, merry listening! 

Cover

i spend too much time on the internet
My name is Hannah Hippensteel, and I like to say I'm a Chicago city-slicker, but I'm actually from the 'burbs. I'm currently a senior at Winona State with a major in mass communication-journalism and a minor in sociology. Catch me enjoying all Winona has to offer: the bluffs, the incomparable Bloedow's Bakery, and not to mention, Minnesota boys. With a goal of working at Teen Vogue, Seventeen or Glamour magazine, I'm soaking up every opportunity to keep my finger on the pulse and share my personal voice!