Allison Ramey: Public Relations Gal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Name: Allison Ramey

Major: Public Relations

Year: Senior

Hometown: Cottage Grove, MN

Here is your opportunity to meet WSU Senior Allison Ramey; a member of Delta Phi Epsilon, a public relations gal, and a girl that is a bundle of fun!

What inspired you to be a public relations major?

Public relations is all about making lasting connections with people, building relationships and writing (a lot) which are three things I have always loved doing.

How I actually got the major is a funny story. I was working as a Club Attendant at the Sheraton in Woodbury, Minnesota my senior year of High School (which was the best job because all I did was pour wine and talk to the regulars who stayed at the hotel every week) when one of my regulars asked me the daunting question, “Have you decided a major?” Of course, I hadn’t. He suggested that I look into public relations, so when I got to WSU, I took Grier’s Mass Media 100 class and fell in love with Mass Communication.

That’s great! What extracurriculars have you been apart of during your time at WSU?

I joined Delta Phi Epsilon my freshman year which was one of the best decisions of my life. People always say it, but I really did find my best friends because of my sorority so that is something I’ll forever be thankful for. I joined because I came here not really knowing many girls and my sister, Melissa, was actually a sister when she attended WSU, so I thought I’d give it a shot and it ended up being one of my greatest blessings.

And PRSSA – because I love anything that has to do with Public Relations.

It seems like you’ve had a great experience at WSU, so why did you choose this university over others?

As I mentioned previously, my sister Melissa attended WSU, which helped me feel more comfortable in an uncomfortable situation. When I visited her my junior year of high school, her and her friends gave me a tour and I fell in love.

When you step on the WSU campus, you feel an energy and a home-like feel that makes you want to stay forever. The people are amazing, the campus is gorgeous and the professors rock. WSU was the best decision I ever made and it feels bittersweet knowing I’ll have to leave in May.

If anyone goes to your Instagram, we can see that you have an ADORABLE nephew! Tell us about him.

It’s hard to explain, but from the moment my sister told me she was expecting, my perspective changed and a flame inside me was ignited to be better, do better and push harder. I just really wanted to be an aunt that Loges could be proud of. And he is the most adorable thing ever, which is why I feel the need to Instagram him all the time #sorrynotsorry

What inspires you every day to get out there and do your best work?

I would have to say my family. I am the baby of five which has shaped me into the person I am today in every way. I have been so blessed because every one of my siblings is so unique in their own way and so successful in the fields that they have chosen, which has been a blessing for me because that knowledge, and all the things they learned along the way, is passed down to me to a sibling like form which has helped me to have a (somewhat) control on my finances.

What are 3 things you cannot live without?

Coffee – Planner – Journal

Any last piece of advice you would offer to other students?

Take advantage of the time you have here, it goes fast.

Hanna Leadstrom is a student at Winona State University studying mass communication with an emphasis in public relations and a minor in marketing. You can often find her working out, blogging, sipping on a cup of jo and day dreaming of travel. She enjoys the little things in life and is a firm believer in a "work hard, play hard" life motto.
Hannah Ingebrand is a Winona State University graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Public Relations and a Psychology minor. Hannah is equal parts homebody and adventurer. She craves travel and her heart was left in Paris years ago. She is in love with love, handwritten letters and all. Hannah believes in making meaningful connections with people and embracing different cultures. Her obsession with Pinterest only fuels her love for polar bears, French bulldogs, and all things fashion.