Allison Mueller: American Airman & Warrior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

I was able to catch up with Allison on her career journey and decision to join the Air Force. Learn about her story and life-changing decision below!

“In high school the thought of joining the military definitely crossed my mind. I admired the discipline and selflessness of those enlisted, but I also knew I wanted to pursue college following graduation. So, I attended WSU and will graduate with a degree in journalism on May 5, 2017. I will always cherish my four years at this university and everything I gained – lifelong friends, amazing contacts and great knowledge and experience in the communication field. I wouldn’t trade it for the world, and now I am proud to say that I will pursue another interest of mine – the military.”

“I started searching National Guard opportunities in Minnesota so I could still pursue a civilian career and attend drill periodically when I was done with training, and the thought of the Air Force never crossed my mind. Once I started talking with my uncle, who is a pilot for Delta, he directed my attention to the Air National Guard – something an Air Force sergeant later told me is “the best kept secret of the Guard.”

“My uncle served in the Air National Guard years ago, and later so did his son. Joining the ANG led them to their successful careers today and opened up amazing opportunities for them, and my uncle had nothing but good things to say about his experience. So, I started exploring my options and eventually found the 133rd Airlift Wing.”

“I enlisted with the 210th Engineering Installation Squadron in December 2016. After I learned there were not any available positions in which I could utilize my college major, I looked into other options and found a position with Comm Cable and Antenna in the 210th that was totally new to me, but looked exciting. Climbing poles, laying cable, using large equipment, learning a totally new set of skills and having the opportunity to travel all over the world on deployments hooked me, and now after spending time with the crew at weekend drills I feel like I fit right in. I am so excited to see what I will do with this unit, and I am anxious to leave on August 14th for BMT and Tech School in Texas, which will take a total of six months.”

“I am still kind of in shock that I finally took the huge step to join the military, but it feels right. I might not be taking the traditional route and utilizing my major straight out of college, but having a solid plan set for the next six months out is comforting, and knowing that this decision will lead to amazing opportunities and experiences makes me excited for my future.”

“I am an American Airman. I am a Warrior.”

Meet our Campus Correspondent Mariah Mrotek! Originally from Racine, Mariah is a Mass Communication Advertising major with a Professional Writing Minor. You can usually catch Mariah loving up the cats at the local Winona Area Humane Society or getting her last minute shopping fix at Target. She is an avid writer and believer in the power of intuition. As an advocate for the Minnesota Epilepsy Foundation, she strives for change. She really enjoys the fall season and the amazing honeycrisp apples it brings. Her ideal place to vacation at is a cabin up north by the lake. Mariah hopes to continue to see and enjoy the world’s beauty after graduation as she pursues a career in Social Media Content Management or Project Management.