This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

If you are like me, you talk to your mom every day because she is your best friend. There is one day out of the entire year that we dedicate to our motherly figures in our lives. Whether this is your mom, grandmother, aunt, godmother, older sister, neighbor, or whoever that takes on a female role model in your life, it’s important to recognize them on Mother’s Day. But if you are a broke college student, what can you do or get that woman?

Mother’s Day 5k Walk/Run

If you are near the cities, there is a “Do Something Fun With Mom” race. Every participant gets a rose, cake pops, and a t-shirt. This is a perfect event to spend time with your mom and get some exercise! Sign up here now for an early bird discount.

Movie-Mothers Day

If you have seen Valentines Day or New Year’s Eve, directed by Garry Marshall, then you must see his new movie Mothers Day coming out on April 29th. It is just in time for you and your mom to take a date to the theater. With four stories in one movie, it’s likely to be a tearjerker just like the other two.

Build a Herb Garden

Try something a little different, and instead of buying flowers, plant your own. Go to a greenhouse or garden center and pick out veggies, flowers or herbs that you and your mom can spend the day planting. FabFitFun has an awesome deal right now to buy a Mother’s Day Bundle that includes their spring subscription box plus two extras and inside includes your own three-piece herb garden. A $270.00 value for only $59.99. Order here by April 28th so you can get it in time for Mother’s Day!

Spa Day

Who doesn’t love getting massages, facials, or a mani/pedi? Treat your mom to one or all of the following for Mother’s Day. Mothers have done just about everything for you so treat them right, and you can treat yourself, too! Plus, most places will have specials; Groupon is a great place to check. You and your mom will be looking great for spring!

Wine and Lunch/Dinner

What’s more perfect than you and your mom drinking wine and eating a delicious lunch or dinner? Go to a vineyard or, make it easy, and go to Olive Garden. Relaxing and having life talks is a perfect way to celebrate her! You can even get more into the day with a wine and painting class, such as Cheers Pablo. They give you step-by-step instructions on how to paint a specific picture and you get to drink wine while doing it.

Luckily I get to call my mother, Amy, my best friend, and mom. Happy Mother’s Day!

Sammy is what you would call a Student Solider. She is in the Army and also a Senior at MNSU. Her major is Mass Media and her minor is Communication Studies. She is from Cottage Grove, MN and enjoys her weekends in the cities. She enjoys being the Her Campus MNSU Chapters Campus Correspondent and also Young Life. She wishes that fall season was year round, but living in Minnesota she will have deal with all the seasons it brings.
Hannah Ingebrand is a Winona State University graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Public Relations and a Psychology minor. Hannah is equal parts homebody and adventurer. She craves travel and her heart was left in Paris years ago. She is in love with love, handwritten letters and all. Hannah believes in making meaningful connections with people and embracing different cultures. Her obsession with Pinterest only fuels her love for polar bears, French bulldogs, and all things fashion.