Alex Paulson: A WSU Activist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Alex Paulson is a junior and the Student Senate At-Large Representative. Being a Spanish Language Education major with a minor in Sustainability, juggling 18 credits, being a tasting room professional at Elmaro Vineyards, and a Baker/Sandwich Maker at Acoustic Café, this celeb is doing even more than meets the eye.

Many would call Alex an activist, but he said, “I just see things that are unjust and act to the best of my ability to change and set it right.”

Alex is invested in a lot of initiatives and movements he is passionate about, and they keep him very busy. Most of his work revolves around social justice, human rights, environmental justice, and global climate change.

He is an officer for the club Full Spectrum, and apart of the LGBTQIA community.

Full Spectrum is a club that focuses on advocating for LGBTQIA students on campus and creating a support system and community for those individuals.

Alex was involved in the collaboration of the Asian American Club and Hmong American Student Association, and brought Shades of Yellow (SOY) organization to do a presentation at WSU about the LGBTQIA and Queer identities and issues.

He is currently working hard to address several issues on campus.

Alex is trying to better the treatment of Native American, American Indian, and indigenous cultures on campus, and build a stronger foundation for them.

He is also currently working on creating an indigenous learning garden inspired by the “End of The Trail” statue. It is a multi-use outdoor classroom.

Alex said, “We have been collaborating with administration, faculty, and staff to create a space that caters to all of the university’s needs.”

He hopes this project inspires a formal curriculum and an inclusive space for all students.

Another initiative Alex has taken on is the process of WSU committing to Fossil Fuel Divestment.

He explains this as, “acknowledging that fossil fuels are detrimental to our climate and all future Warriors to come.”

Alex is a fan of the saying, ‘work hard, play hard.’ Many would wonder how he stays motivated through all of these different tasks and involvements he takes on.

Alex said, “I have amazing friends and family that fight with me in the trenches or help me treat my wounds.” Alex added, “And to make up for the difference of working and playing, I have wine and chocolate.”

Katie is an avid wine connoisseur with an appetite for travel, journaling, a loaded bloody mary and of course, persuading the masses with the help of her PR education. Her current passions reside in creating trendy outfits at T.J.Maxx, rocking her Birkenstocks, finding new Indie artists and daydreaming about backpacking after graduation. She is a firm believer in equality and finding peace within society. She is always down for a fun time, while being fabulous and fierce.