6 Rom-Coms for the Single Girl on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

It feels like Valentine’s day occurs earlier every year, but that might just be because now my friends have partners to plan stuff out with. For the few of us who don’t have plans with a human person we are attracted to, don’t worry. This Valentine’s Day, me and the other single pringles are doing a movie marathon that will last until Sunday. I’ve picked out a couple movies from our line-up to share with you cuties who are looking to veg out and save their strength for Half Price Chocolate Shopping Day on the 15th.

Movies LOOSELY Based on Classics

Easy A– This movie isn’t exactly based on Nathaniel Hawthorne’s Scarlet Letter, but it is referenced as all the character’s are reading the novel in their English course. Olive Penderghast (Emma Stone) tells a little lie to get out of a camping trip. This snowballs as her little lie turns into a business in which her male peers pay her to pretend she slept with them to raise their social status. Easy A is available on VUDU.

Books On A Shelf
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

She’s the Man– Loosely based on William Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night, this movie follows Viola, who impersonates her twin brother Sebastian to play soccer after her school had cut the girl’s team. She ends up falling in love with her roommate Duke, while trying to set him up with his crush, Olivia. Full Shakespearan shenanigans ensue. She’s the Man is available on Hulu.

She\'s The Man gif
Giphy

Rom-Coms of my Childhood

Princess Diaries 2– I’d tell you to watch the first one, but I think every human person I know between the ages of 16 and 27 has seen this movie. This is your friendly reminder to watch it again. Both Princess Diary movies are available on Disney+.

The Princess Bride– Every line in this movie is a Big Mood, as the kids are saying. The Princess Bride follows a woman named Buttercup, who is going to marry Prince Humperdinck after the death of her true love, Wesley. Things go south when Buttercup is kidnapped before her wedding and a mysterious Man in Black shows up to save her. The Princess Bride is available on Amazon Prime and Vudu.

Gif of a character from the Princess Bride saying \"As you wish\"
Giphy

Slightly Satirical Comedies

Always Be My Maybe– Celebrity Chef Sasha Tran (Ali Wong) opens a restaurant in her native San Francisco, where she reunites with her childhood best friend (Randall Park). Keannu Reeves plays himself in this movie, and I want you to think of me dealing with my neighbor and her boyfriend doing couple stuff when you see the Uber scene. You’ll know what I mean. Remember me. Always Be My Maybe is available on Netflix.

Isn’t It Romantic– Architect Natalie (Rebel Wilson) is unappreciated at her job. Until she gets stuck in a romantic comedy movie. The genre she hates. That’s like me being stuck in a western and I don’t get to kick butt. That’s Wack. Eventually, she needs to complete this Rom-Com hellscape to get back to her real life. Isn’t it Romantic is on Hulu.

Tonight we rest, for tomorrow, we ride into battle for Half Price Chocolate! And if you haven’t seen the TV series Galavant, now would be a good time.

Meg Chaffee is a junior at Winona State University studying History and Political Science. She hopes to teach high school social studies, because she wouldn’t be able to deal with her students eating smart glue during craft activities just because it has the word “smart” on it. She wrote a story on Watt-pad (during middle school, in an account she can no longer access) that received far too many votes for several awards, and no, she will not give you the name. In her free time she enjoys reading, writing, and watching The Good Place repeatedly on Netflix.
My name is Hannah Hippensteel, and I like to say I'm a Chicago city-slicker, but I'm actually from the 'burbs. I'm currently a senior at Winona State with a major in mass communication-journalism and a minor in sociology. Catch me enjoying all Winona has to offer: the bluffs, the incomparable Bloedow's Bakery, and not to mention, Minnesota boys. With a goal of working at Teen Vogue, Seventeen or Glamour magazine, I'm soaking up every opportunity to keep my finger on the pulse and share my personal voice!