This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Winter can begin to feel dull and everlasting when all the excitement of the holiday season comes to an end. Spring fever is no joke when you’ve been cooped up in your dorm room for the past few months. The gloomy and frigid conditions of February easily mark it as the worst month or the year—and here’s five reasons why!

1. Valentine’s Day…when you’re single

This may be the most obvious reason on the list, but it’s still valid. I can imagine—since I have no personal experience—that Valentine’s Day can be one of the most special days of the year if you’re in a relationship. However, V-Day can be a painful reminder of chronic singledom to many people. 

dark LED red heart
Pexels

2. Midterms

This is only my first year in college, but let me tell you, this has always been the most difficult part of the academic year for me. My high school system was set in quarters, and the third quarter (aka now) was hands-down the most mentally draining. At this point, spring break is in sight. But, there are countless agonizing hours of studying and exams to complete before then. 

empty classroom with wooden chairs and desks
Feliphe Schiarolli on Unsplash

3. Winter gets its second wind

Just when you think spring is coming, you are so sorely mistaken. Every. Single. Year. No matter how much snow has melted since the last big storm in January, it’s basically guaranteed that Mother Nature isn’t done yet. 

melting iceberg
Mathieu Perrier- Unsplash

4. Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)

I can’t say that I’ve had it too bad this year; however, for high school me, nothing seemed to be going right in February. It’s the perfect time of the year to get annoyed with everyone for no good reason and feel motivated to do absolutely nothing. 

girl thinking college sweatshirt
Her Campus Media

5. Leap year

I get that it’s necessary so that we don’t have snow in summer or whatever, but it’s so unfortunate that the worst month of the year just sneaks in an extra day every once in a while. It’s honestly so rude.

Silver macbook by planner and flowers
Pexels / Alana Sousa

If you’re realizing you hate February now, just be happy it’s almost over and remember there’s always another summer to look forward to!

Amanda Petro

Winona '23

Amanda Petro is a freshman at Winona State University. She has not yet decided on a major, but she is interested in studying psychology, sociology and communication studies. In her free time, Amanda enjoys painting, nail art and taking circus classes.
My name is Hannah Hippensteel, and I like to say I'm a Chicago city-slicker, but I'm actually from the 'burbs. I'm currently a senior at Winona State with a major in mass communication-journalism and a minor in sociology. Catch me enjoying all Winona has to offer: the bluffs, the incomparable Bloedow's Bakery, and not to mention, Minnesota boys. With a goal of working at Teen Vogue, Seventeen or Glamour magazine, I'm soaking up every opportunity to keep my finger on the pulse and share my personal voice!