5 Reasons I Am Proud of My Generation: The Great Gen Zers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Ten years ago, millennials (people born between 1981 and 1986) were receiving hate because they were the youngins who were messing up the world. Nowadays, it is the Gen Zers (born between 1997 and 2012) who are experiencing even more hate.

I am a cusper. This means I was born between the end of one generation and beginning of another. I experienced the best ‘90s cartoons: PowerPuff Girls, Johnny Bravo, Recess, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Rugrats, etc. But I also watched the classic 2000s shows: Wizards of Waverly Place, Oswald, Kim Possible, Arthur, etc. 

While I experienced the classics of both generations, I am, according to science, a Generation Z baby. 

However, even though I am technically a Gen Zer, I am not embarrassed like most people are. Here are five reasons why I am proud to be a part of this generation:

1. Breaking Stigmas Surrounding Mental Illnesses

Previous generations plastered mental illnesses, addictions, and routine therapy with stigmas and negative perspectives. Generation Z is going out of their way to break those stigmas. We want routine therapy to become the norm because we are all a little broken, whether we admit it or not. 

We recognize addiction as a mental illness rather than a choice, therefore, creating open lines of communication for addicts who are struggling makes them feel less guilty and ashamed. This allows addicts to seek help without the fear of stigmatization. 

Lastly, mental illnesses are more widely accepted than they were by Baby Boomers or Millenials. Antidepressants, anxiety medicine, and even medical marijuana are all used to treat mental illnesses, and it isn’t frowned upon by Gen Zers.

2. Promoting Inclusivity

My generation, for the most part, is quite accepting of the LGBTQ+ community. If I meet a man who loves another man, I will treat him the same as I would treat anyone else. However, back in the day this was extremely frowned upon. My generation is also more accepting in terms of religion, race, culture, and gender.

3. Prioritizing Personal Health Over Job Maltreatment

A job should be a means of survival, not a lifestyle. Generation Z is beginning to change professional standards. For example, colored hair, tattoos, and piercings are being recognized as personality traits to be accepted rather than receiving immediate negative views. Or if we call in an absence because of mental health reasons, it is becoming more acceptable.

4. Technical Acuity 

With technological advancements soaring to new heights, Gen Zers are forced to learn new inventions at a faster pace than our grandparents, and we are rocking it! Most of my college peers were able to learn the main functions of Zoom within the first few weeks of online courses. However, I still have some elderly professors who have struggled to learn the main functions after nearly two years of being in the pandemic.

5. Openly Sharing Diverse Backgrounds and Experiences

From childhood trauma to backpacking across Europe, Gen Z is more open and willing to share intimate details of their lives. Maybe this is due to misplaced trust, but I think it has to do with increased empathy.

Whether you are 10 or 24, you are a part of Generation Z. Obviously, a 10-year-old is going to have different experiences than the 24-year-old, but the overall traits are the same. As time goes on, these traits will continue to grow and change. 

Acceptance, technical acuity, and empathy are just a handful of reasons I am proud to be a Gen Zer. One day, another generation will receive the hate that Generation Z is receiving right now. But Gen Zers are okay with the hate because the most important trait of Gen Z is that we are resilient. We will bounce back from adversity like a basketball on cement.

Cheyenne Halberg is a student at Winona State University with a major in Communication Arts and Literature Teaching. She is from the outskirts of St. Cloud, MN. Cheyenne enjoys writing to express herself and empowering others to do what they love. Her hobbies include spending time with friends and family, watching football, spending time outdoors, crafting and writing. Her life goal is to leave an impression on the next generations that allows them to embrace their unique qualities.