This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

As a senior in college, I have spent four years away from my hometown. This includes family, pets, and familiar places. At first, my homesickness was horrendous. In fact, my first Her Campus article was titled “How to Beat the Homesick Blues in 5 Easy Steps.” Eventually, my college town became my home. However, as time has gone on, I feel myself getting homesick now more than ever before. 

I feel as though everyone back home is forgetting about me, and as much as I try, I can never seem to catch up with what is going on. My little sibling has a continuously evolving hobby list, my nieces are growing up faster than the blink of an eye, and my parents are experiencing one hurdle after another. Then, I am here in my college hometown feeling alone and irrelevant.

I have tried everything–and I mean everything–I can to combat my homesickness. Yet nothing seems to work. Therefore, I have started to embrace my homesickness and find ways to feel comfortable with the feelings I am experiencing. Whether I am crying in my bedroom, showering, or driving to class, the one thing always available to help me in my process so far has been music. 

Music helps me recognize I am not alone. Numerous people have felt, or are currently feeling, how I am now. Even celebrities who have millions of dollars have been in my exact shoes. 

In case you are feeling the same way I am, I hope you are able to find some form of solace in the following playlist. You can also check it out on Spotify. Some of them can be interpreted in different ways, but I find myself thinking of my family.

1. “Lonely” by Noah Cyrus

2. “parent song” by Jeremy Zucker

3. “Waves” by Dean Lewis

4. “I Miss The Days” by NF

5. “My Wish” by Rascal Flatts

6. “Downside of Growing Up” by Maddie & Tae

7. “Need You Now” by Lady A

8. “Castle on the Hill” by Ed Sheeran

9. “Meanwhile Back At Mama’s” by Tim McGraw

10. “Back Home” by Andy Grammer

11. “Photograph” by Ed Sheeran

12. “Nobody Knows” by The Lumineers

13. “Homesick” by Dua Lipa

14. “Every Light In The House (Is On)” by Trace Adkins

15. “I Cross My Heart” by George Strait

16. “Flashlight” by Hailee Steinfeld

17. “Don’t Forget Where You Belong” by One Direction

18. “You’re Gonna Miss This” by Trace Adkins

19. “Grandpa (Tell Me ‘Bout The Good Old Days)” by The Judds

20. “Cinderella” by  Steven Curtis Chapman

21. “One Call Away” by Charlie Puth

22. “These Are My People” by Rodney Atkins

Remember, it is okay to not be okay. Recognizing your emotions is the first step to healing. If you need help, do not be scared to reach out. Even if you feel like you are alone, you are not. If you don’t have family or friends to call or text, numerous hotlines are in place to help you. At the very least, you have these songs to remind you how many other people feel the way you do. 

Stay safe, lovelies.

Cheyenne Halberg is a student at Winona State University with a major in Communication Arts and Literature Teaching. She is from the outskirts of St. Cloud, MN. Cheyenne enjoys writing to express herself and empowering others to do what they love. Her hobbies include spending time with friends and family, watching football, spending time outdoors, crafting and writing. Her life goal is to leave an impression on the next generations that allows them to embrace their unique qualities.