10 People and Things I’m Thankful For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winona chapter.

Thanksgiving is a time to reflect on everything precious to you in your life: the people you’re surrounded by, the opportunities you’ve been given and the good things that have come your way. Though we have a special holiday meant for being thankful for these things, it’s important to remember how special those things are all year-round. This year, I wanted to make a list of 10 people and things that I’m thankful for.

1.  My Mom

My mom has always been there for me through thick and thin. She’s someone I can always come to for advice and someone I can tell anything to. A lot of the things that interest me are things that I was exposed to through her. True crime is one thing that we both enjoy and something we can bond over. It’s cheesy, but my mom is really my best friend, and all that she sacrifices for me means the world. She helped me move across the country (on very short notice), always helps me get the things I need and makes sure that my dog is getting all the love she needs while I’m away from home. I love my mom so much, and I cannot be more thankful to have such a loving and supportive mother.

2.  My Dad & Stepmom

No matter what, my dad has always been my biggest fan. Even when I’ve made mistakes and other questionable decisions, he’s always there to offer whatever support he can. I know I can count on him to do any favor I need whenever I need it. He was my number one supporter for moving across the country. He was willing to do anything to help me get here. My stepmom, Nancy, has always been so kind and helpful, too. She makes the best food ever and has been the perfect addition to our family! I appreciate the love and support they offer me, and I’m very thankful that they’re around.

3.  My Twin

Kara and I have always had our differences. We’re almost complete opposites when it comes to personality, but sometimes that’s a good thing. This past year or so, we’ve grown a lot closer and she’s also someone I feel like I can tell anything to. She’s always there to offer me a different perspective of things and to make me laugh. Living farther apart has brought us closer, and there are things that we can talk to each other about that we wouldn’t talk to anyone else about. I can’t imagine being around without her there with me.

4.  My Brother and Sister

My older siblings haven’t always been the closest to me (mostly because of the age gap). As we’ve grown into adults, though, it’s become clearer to me how much they’ve been there for me. Age is just a number when it comes to your family. My oldest sister is always there to give me advice about things, especially what she’s had experience with. She’s given me the cutest little nephew with another one on the way and I couldn’t be happier. I’m so thankful to have her and her sons in my life. My brother is arguably the best at giving advice, too. He can always put a positive spin on things and make you feel like you’re capable of doing anything your heart desires. He also tags me in the best dog memes.

5.  My Grandparents

Growing up, my grandma always made a point to take us do fun things. We’ve seen countless movies, been to the local amusement park and eaten at probably every restaurant within a 20-mile radius of my house. She’s always there if I need someone to talk to (and she’s very good at talking). Our memories are so special to me, and I’m glad that I’ve had her and my Papa around to be my grandparents when all my other ones weren’t around. I know that they would do anything in their power for me and all they want in life is for me to do well. Their support means the world to me.

6.  My Internet Friends

Though it’s an unconventional way to make friends, I’ve met some of the greatest people via the internet. I met Emily and Lauren over a year ago on Twitter because we both shared a love for the band 5 Seconds of Summer. Since then, we’ve met in person two times, both of them staying with me for over a week this past February. They’re always there to talk to when I’m feeling down and they’re usually awake when no one else is. I can always count on them to make me laugh, and I cherish our friendship deeply. They are some of the sweetest girls I’ve ever met and I hope that we never lose our friendship.

7.  My Roommate

Amanda and I also met via the internet and our love for one Aussie boy band, but we live together now! I spoke previously about how I moved across the country, and she’s the whole reason why. Our connection is special and we get along so well. I decided to take the opportunity to go to school in a new place and live on my own with one of my best friends. Amanda is so supportive and always wants the best for me. I know we’ll be friends forever.

8.  My Best Friend

I few years ago, I met a German exchange student at my high school. We instantly clicked and have been best friends ever since. Sadly, she lives all the way in Germany. Although it can be hard to stay in touch due to the time difference, I know that our bond is unbreakable and we can always count on each other. (I wrote an article about my trip to Germany, so check it out!) I’m so thankful for the opportunity to visit my best friend, to see what her home is like and to meet all her friends and family. I’ve made memories with Katha that I will never forget and will keep close to my heart forever.

9.  My Dog

This is extra cliche of me to include in my list, but my dog is like my child. She means so much to me. She can definitely get on my nerves at times and boy does she shed, but her stupid face and soft snoring have won over my heart. She’s there for me to snuggle when I’m sad and never fails to bring a smile to my face. I miss her so much!

10.  Music

All the things on this list have been physical beings, but music is such an important part of my life. Not a day goes by when I don’t listen to my playlists. No matter what mood I’m in, there’s a song to match. Without music, I wouldn’t have been brought to some of my favorite people previously mentioned in this list. Music is an escape and just a good way to get out of your own head. I think I’d go crazy without my premium Spotify subscription. 

No matter what your interests, there’s a genre for everyone. It’s a good way to tell who you’ll get along with or just what kind of person someone is based on the type of music they listen to. I wanted to especially thank my favorite artists: 

• 5 Seconds of Summer
  • Ed Sheeran
  • Greyson Chance
  • Lewis Capaldi
  • Harry Styles
  • Shawn Mendes, and so many more! 

The music they create inspires me and has helped me through all the tough times in my life. Most importantly, they’ve connected me to a number of people all across the world who mean so much to me. And for that, I couldn’t be more thankful. 

Overall, I encourage everyone to take a second to reflect on all the people, opportunities and other things in your life that you have been lucky enough to experience. Although Thanksgiving is the perfect time to do this, don’t forget to appreciate what you have all year-round!  

Kasey Farace

Winona '22

Kasey Farace is a transfer sophomore student at Winona State. Born and raised in Portland, Oregon, Kasey decided to jump out of her comfort zone and move across the country to try something new. One of her favorite classes in high school was Creative Writing, so she is very excited to use Her Campus as a way to improve upon these skills. In her free time, Kasey enjoys listening to music and playing iPhone games.
My name is Hannah Hippensteel, and I like to say I'm a Chicago city-slicker, but I'm actually from the 'burbs. I'm currently a senior at Winona State with a major in mass communication-journalism and a minor in sociology. Catch me enjoying all Winona has to offer: the bluffs, the incomparable Bloedow's Bakery, and not to mention, Minnesota boys. With a goal of working at Teen Vogue, Seventeen or Glamour magazine, I'm soaking up every opportunity to keep my finger on the pulse and share my personal voice!