Tips for Fall Lips: Part 1

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Williams chapter.

Remember when Rihanna performed at the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show in 2012 with those bold, burgundy lips? Or when Kerry Washington gave us all a mean plum pout at this past year’s Oscar’s? How about the times you’ve just seen your friends–and that edgy girl in your history class–have a ton of fun with seasonal lipstick colors while you swear by Burt’s Bees, Chapstick, or “tinted” balm (I’m looking at you Maybelline Baby Lips) year-round? Fall is here, and with the cooler weather and warmer colors comes the chance to experiment with your makeup routine in all kinds of ways- from switching your foundation to finding a more dramatic mascara. But what simpler way to give your face a mini-transformation than by trying a new lipstick? Because you can go in so many different directions, it’s one of the best places to start. And now is the perfect time to get into burgundies, plums, cabernets, and berries! But where to begin? A few things to consider as you make your way up there with The Dark Goddesses, Rihanna and Kerry…

• What kind of finish do you want? Pearl? Luster? Creme? Matte? Pearl lipsticks have some shimmer to them and look very frosty in the light. If you typically go for lip products that pack a lot of shine, luster and high-shine are your go-to’s, but if you like colors to be a little muted after they set, creme is your best bet. Creme finish lipsticks also tend to be incredibly buildable (meaning your lip product can look completely different depending on how many times you swipe it on) and have more dimension and depth. Matte finishes are my personal favorite! They’re similar to creme, but give your lips so much more texture. If you decide to give them a try, you may find that they make your lips look and feel super soft. That being said, some brands have matte finishes that are incredibly drying and call for almost hourly reapplication. When using matte products, be sure to use a moisturizing base before use and exfoliate after the fun’s over!
  • Don’t rule out products because you’re convinced that your skin tone “isn’t right” for them. No matter what *insert any person here who never has any clue what they’re talking about when it comes to makeup, and especially makeup for Black women* says about bright reds and vibrant pinks being only for white and lighter-skinned women, be brave enough to first try new colors…and then confident enough to stunt in them when they look amazing on you. It was actually years before I found the perfect red for my skin tone. Be patient in your search and mindful of the sad reality that almost nothing looks how it does online in real life. And while vibrant colors sometimes look isolated on women of color, that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t/can’t wear them. It just means they haven’t found the right shade! 
  • Don’t be afraid of lip liners. Once, when my best friend and I went to a MAC counter and I began to browse the lipliners, she said, “I just can’t think of them without somehow feeling like I’m stuck in the ‘80s!” Lip liners will be your absolute best friend during the fall (and other seasons, too). They’re the best tool to use to do cool tricks like ombre lips and manipulate colors to look lighter or darker than they are alone, but most importantly, they keep your lipstick from bleeding. Many times, you can actually just use them by themselves! Luckily, many plum, red, and brown liners are deep in color and rich in application. 

Whenever you make the decision to switch up your regular lip routine and however you decide to do it, have fun with the process! It’s true that a full face of makeup can make a person look totally different, but oftentimes, it doesn’t take that much. Try something new. If it doesn’t work, try something else. And when you finally find something that works for you, be as ***Flawless as you want to be.

Cinnamon is a junior at Williams College where she is an American Studies major, an Africana Studies minor, and a Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellow. A lover of lipstick and foundation fanatic, she just began writing for Williams' HerCampus chapter on beauty and makeup. She's especially interested in creating empowering digital spaces for Black women to celebrate and cherish their beauty. When she's not busy with her undergraduate studies and research endeavors, she's falling victim to Scandal. And now...How To Get Away With Murder...okay, basically, her Thursday nights belong to Shonda Rhimes. Follow her on Twitter @itsnotnutmeg and Instagram/Tumblr @abiddybiddybunbun.
Michella is a senior at Williams College, majoring in Political Science. When she's not reading up on political theories, you'll catch Michella singing with her a capella group on campus or helping folks out at the front desk in the science library.