Three (more) books I’ve read (and re-read) this year, and why you should read them too

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Williams chapter.

Around this time last year, I wrote an article about three books I could not stop re-reading. This year, I am back with new recommendations! Admittedly, I need to branch out more in terms of the books I read, but when I find an author, novel, or series that I love, I simply cannot put it down. Below is my 2022 list of books that I am constantly reaching for despite the many times I have already read them.

1. Fleabag The Scriptures by Phoebe Waller-Bridge

I came across this book by committing a cardinal sin: watching the show before reading the novel. I fell in love with the unhinged characters and witty comebacks in Waller-Bridge’s Fleabag series, which you can watch on Amazon Prime, and when I saw that she published the show’s script, I immediately had to make the purchase. While the TV show is undoubtedly fantastic, I found that I was able to appreciate the true brilliance of Waller-Bridge’s writing when I read her dialogue, subheaders, commands, and character descriptions. This script is truly hilarious, and whenever I need a quick pick-me-up, I pick a random episode to re-read. 

1. Book Lovers by Emily Henry

Last year, I recommended Henry’s Beach Read if you wanted a sweet romance with painfully relatable characters. The same is true of Henry’s most recent addition to her collection: Book Lovers. I don’t think I have ever related to a main character in a novel as much as I do to Nora Stephens. She’s cutthroat in her work, but not when it comes to her sister. Type-A, but also a hot mess. Henry’s romantic plot is warmly familiar, and it also helps that the love interest, Charlie Lastra, encapsulates the perfect enemies-to-lovers trope. Like all of her novels, Henry’s Book Lovers is amazing, and you should read it now. 

1. The Other End of the Line by Andrea Camilleri

I was introduced to this novel in a detective literature course I took last semester. The series’ lead detective, Detective Montalbano, was, by far, the most enjoyable detective that we encountered over the course of the semester. His sarcastic humor, genuine love of authentic Italian cuisine, and unconventional relationship with his girlfriend make him an exciting character to follow. Furthermore, the novel tackles some very timely social issues, including migrant rights and xenophobia, in a poignant and authentic manner. I have explored several other Montalbano novels, all of which are fantastic, but I keep coming back to The Other End of the Line

Another year, another three books that I can’t put down. I hope you enjoy these novels as much as I do, and I look forward to seeing you for the 2023 installment of this series!

Celia Adams

Williams '24

Freshman at Williams College planning on majoring in Political Science and Economics.