Thoughts from a Female Rugger

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Williams chapter.

via Facebook

When people ask me what I do on campus or what sports I play there’s always an inevitable pause after I tell them that I play rugby. People’s reactions range from expressions of shock and awe, to those of deep, overly-committed concern.

“But you’re a girl!” 

”Isn’t it dangerous?!”

“What if you mess up that pretty face of yours?”

“Good for you, but I would NEVER do that”

I’ve gotten tired of having to explain to people that the rate of injury is about the same as that in soccer, and that no, rugby isn’t really all that dangerous of a game if it’s played well. It’s gotten old explaining to people that I did more damage to my face playing basketball (a broken nose, a knocked out tooth, and a few black eyes) than I’ve done playing rugby. Perhaps more offensive than any of these comments are the ones that insinuate that women should not be playing contact sports at all. These comments take two forms. There are those that suggest that playing rugby is unladylike, and therefore isn’t suitable for women. And there are those that suggest that women are too fragile to be playing a full contact sport. Case in point, the other day I was talking to a male friend the other day who expressed interest in coming to watch me play. Upon further contemplation, however, he came to the conclusion that he could never watch me play rugby because he couldn’t “protect me” and “what if I got hurt?” As much as I admire my friend it was hard not to gag. It makes me laugh when people, especially big giant football players, suggest that I can’t handle myself on the field or take a hit. I always tell them to come and watch me play and then say something.

I think that the incredulity that my rugby playing inspires is part of why I love it so much– it feels like an act of rebellion. When I’m on the pitch, making tackles, and scoring tries the last thing I’m thinking about is needing the protection of anyone else. As a woman athlete, playing rugby is one of the most empowering things I’ve ever done with my body. There is something truly novel about being able to use the full strength of your body in a high-pressure situation. Additionally, among its many other wonderful attributes, rugby is the only full contact sport of my knowledge open to women. It is also one of the only sports where rules for men and women are not qualitatively different. 

This article is not a shameless plug for you to join the WWRFC (although we’d really love to have you). I know that the prospect of running full speed into people is a genuine and perfectly rational fear. The point I’m getting at is this: rugby is one of the ways that I reclaim the agency that this world often strips from me. Playing rugby with 14 of the most wonderful women warriors (look at that alliteration!) by my side has been a constant reminder of not only the strength of my body, but the power of solidarity between women. Tell us we can’t do something, I dare you.

I'm Johanna. Part time badass. Part time explorer. Resident rugby player. Lover of words. Liker of lists. And your most fabulous teller of Williams tales.
Michella is a senior at Williams College, majoring in Political Science. When she's not reading up on political theories, you'll catch Michella singing with her a capella group on campus or helping folks out at the front desk in the science library.