Remy Gates ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Williams chapter.

1. Name: Remy Gates aka Steezy aka “who yo bae textin” aka So Yummy

2. Hometown: St. Louis, MO

3. Major: Japanese/ AFR concentration

4. Could you tell us about the conference you attended in Japan this summer? How did you become involved?

I went to Japan as part of the Japan American Student Conference, visiting the cities of Hiroshima, Shimane, Kyoto, and Tokyo. I was part of a group discussing religion, and how it could be used as a tool for peace making. The Japanese department is able to sponsor up to 2 students each year, but I ended up being the only person to go.

5. I also heard you’re working on a book of poetry. What is your work about?

It’s sort of a continuation of a project I did for a Race and Abstraction class I did last year, taught by Dorothy Wang. Loosely I wanted it to be about Blackness as an abstraction, while interacting with interpretations of the digital, space, and new Muslim identity. It also deals with being without [i.e. foreign], a bit of replication, ownership, communication. I think. I try not to really define it, because I want it to truly be about nothing.

6. Do you draw on particular experiences or poets in your writing?

I really was drawing on the Race and Abstraction class, so poets like Janice Lee, Will Alexander, and Tan Lin but also mystics like Lalleshwari. Some of what I see in the works draw a lot on this short love episode I had, being black, and being in Japan.

7. It seems like creativity is an important outlet for you on campus. How do you find time and inspiration with a busy course load stuck in the Purple Bubble?

Yea, I think it’s become pretty important. My only inspiration is really God. I try not to get caught up on everyday things, because they’ll come out anyway whether you want them to or not. Time has to be made, so I try to be in the moment as much as possible when working on stuff.

I'm Johanna. Part time badass. Part time explorer. Resident rugby player. Lover of words. Liker of lists. And your most fabulous teller of Williams tales.