This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Williams chapter.

Over a year ago, when the world went into lockdown and quarantine became the new norm, the big trend was to get a puppy. This makes complete sense; pets are not only adorable and terrific companions, but they offer great emotional support. In a similar fashion, I also got a pet during quarantine, but one that was not quite so fluffy — a hedgehog.

The morning I picked Sir Hedge up from his breeder’s house and he ran up my sleeve, I knew we would be best friends. Sir Hedge, also known as Hedgie, Sir, Baby Hedge, and Nostradamus, is a curious and lively fellow. He is all white with remarkably red eyes and a nose that never stops sniffing. He is an albino African Pygmy hedgehog, so small that I can hold him in the palm of my hand. 

Lots of people wonder what I do with my hedgehog. Many of my friends that have met Sir Hedge think that he is boring. Well, it makes sense that they feel this way because he is nocturnal. As soon as the lights go out, I fall asleep listening to him run on his wheel all night. I also love giving him special food, such as sliced pears, cut up carrots, cottage cheese, and frozen mealworms. 

Sir Hedge also has a ball that he runs around in (like a hamster) while I busy myself doing homework or watching TV. He is very photogenic. He loves to curl up in a ball and sleep wrapped in a blanket on my lap. I can assure you that having a hedgehog as a pet is a great investment. I’m so happy and so lucky to have a pet like my hedgehog and would encourage others to look into owning such adorable and loving pets. 

Hi guys! My name is Clarissa (or CC for short) and I am class of 2022 at Williams. I am a member of the Women's Ice Hockey team and I am a Psychology major with a Neuroscience concentration & French certificate. Hope my articles make you smile :)