If you Set your Mind to it, you Can Achieve it #Goals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Williams chapter.

Last semester, I created a list of resolutions to remind myself of my goals for the term. As I look back at them now, I can see which ones I have kept, which ones I still need to work on, and I can brainstorm ways to ensure that I stick to these resolutions now. This was my first time writing out resolutions and now I encourage you to try it and use some of the suggestions I have for writing and keeping them.

Why? By writing (or typing) your resolutions and putting them in a place where you will see them often, you will remind yourself of your goals (especially for those moments when you would otherwise forget and fall back into a past habit). Also, it gives you the opportunity to track your progress and reflect on ways to improve. I taped mine above my desk so I can look at them while I am working.

What to include? Your resolutions can be about anything! You can set academic, social, and personal resolutions. One important thing to remember, though, is to be specific. That is my number one piece of advice. Instead of saying, “procrastinate less,” write something more specific and concrete, such as, “start essays and other long-term assignments within two days of receiving the instructions,” or, “at least one week in advance.” By giving yourself something specific to work on, you will be able to remember and follow it better.

How to keep track of them? The most important tips are already above. Write them as specific steps and put them in a place where you will see them often. Occasionally review your progress and think about how to do better. You could also give your resolutions to someone else who can hold you accountable to them or schedule times in your calendar for reviewing and reflecting on your resolutions. If you find yourself not following your resolutions, refine them or build in exceptions. For example: a resolution to go to bed before 10pm may have to change to “before midnight” at certain times, or the exception, “unless I have a paper due the next day” might need to be added. Your resolutions should still be challenges, however, so don’t simplify them too much. It is helpful to motivate and encourage you by giving yourself credit for the effort but don’t let it become a series of excuses.

That is what I learned from writing and reviewing my semester resolutions. Hopefully you will try it yourself and benefit from it too.

ZsaZsa is a First Year who lives in M3. She is a potential Comparative Literature major, member of Aristocows, and shop crew member at the '62 Center.
Nica is a Senior at Williams College majoring in Biology and taking pre-medical courses. She is a member of Ritmo Latino and GQ A cappella. Her passions include public health, reading, and yoga.