Being a Liberal Arts Student-Athlete

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Williams chapter.

What does it mean to be an athlete at a liberal arts college?

What big university students think it means: Soft, athletically-inclined normal people who weren’t good enough to get recruited to big D1 universities in high school.

What we think it means: Talented athletes who value academics more than athletics and want to own future big companies instead of work for them.

What it really means: Absolutely the same athlete you would find at a high performing university except with a shorter season and a bit more of their time dedicated to functioning as a well-rounded student with a variety of extracurricular activities.

While some non-athletic-regular-people too quickly judge athletes as slightly more vapid, socially inclined, and overall lesser versions of themselves, it is important to point out that liberal arts athletes don’t get nearly as much credit for their athleticism as those who perform at D1 schools, yet spend as much time in the weight room.

There are plenty of benefits of being a liberal arts athlete too. First, you get to interact with your team while taking advantage of all the opportunities you have on campus. Instead of packing your schedule with games and practices, you can dip your toes in the humanities or join a club. Second, you’re saving up all that energy you could be using for preparing for the olympics and storing it up for your abroad trip and future internships. Summer isn’t a time for making gains and studying up on trick plays! Third, you’re not isolated from the students who aren’t on a sports team and are able to branch out and meet people you share other common interests with.

That is why I like being a division three, liberal arts athlete. These are just a few of the things I’m learning while being a liberal arts athlete, and I look forward to learning more during the next four years.

Nica is a Senior at Williams College majoring in Biology and taking pre-medical courses. She is a member of Ritmo Latino and GQ A cappella. Her passions include public health, reading, and yoga.
Michella is a senior at Williams College, majoring in Political Science. When she's not reading up on political theories, you'll catch Michella singing with her a capella group on campus or helping folks out at the front desk in the science library.