This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Williams chapter.

Author: Hannah Hurtado

Spring semester has just started! While the trees and the weather certainly don’t show it, your mental health certainly does. Your eyes are now droopy from studying late at night, your stress levels have increased from 0 to 100, and your social life has grinded to a halt. How are you supposed to finish three essays, read 400 pages, and work on problem sets that never end? Here are 4 tips to keep your mental health in peak performance despite the workload that accompanies being a student at Williams College.

1. Make a schedule 

Making a schedule helps balance your work life and social life; it can also help you stay on task by allowing you to plan out exactly what you need to accomplish in a specific day or a certain allotment of time.  Experiment with different styles, types, and media to find what works best for you. Google Calendar works great with your Williams student account and can give you up to date notifications, while being user friendly. If technology is not your friend (it definitely isn’t mine) then a hard copy planner or calendar might work better for you (I love to decorate mine with stickers and different colored pens). When your crazy schedule is put in check the amount of work you need to do appears to be less and you don’t end up wasting countless hours dreading the inevitable. It also allows you to make time for yourself and what you want to do thus, reducing stress and increasing mental productivity.  

1. Exercise 

It’s time to break out the yoga mat, kettlebells, and running shoes because exercise is a great way to increase your mental health. Research has shown that exercising regularly not only keeps your body in shape but it also helps keep your mind active and alert. It helps release serotonin which is a natural hormone in your body that helps make you feel happy and elevated. Find how you like to work out best. There are so many ways to work out, and it can be a great way to start or end your day. If you don’t like to work out, try something less physical like yoga, a walk outside (with friends or a dog makes it even better), dance, stretching, or a physical game; if physical exercise is more your style try something a little more intense such as weight lifting, biking, swimming, or hiking. Go at your own pace; you know your limits and capabilities. Try to test your abilities without compromising your health. Most importantly drink lots of water, and keep your body well nourished with healthy food. 

1. Redecorate  

Clean up, get a plant, and change the colors. Dorm rooms can be so boring the same beat up walls and stained carpets that look a hundred years old. Take the time to clean the space around you; organize a bookshelf, vacuum the floor, dust the lamp, and wipe the windows. It’s amazing how much you will appreciate the space you live in when you take the time to clean and take care of it. This, in turn, helps make you more productive and your work more efficient. Additionally, spruce up your room. Get a plant or two. The lively green will help enhance your mood; studies have shown that plants help reduce feelings of loneliness and depression. Lastly, add color. Break out a nice new bedspread, hang up a picture, and add decorations that appeal to you. Color is shown to have a positive influence on your mental health. It also allows you to express yourself and your passions. So, get to decorating!

1. Try Mindfulness

Mindfulness is a way of thinking. Mindfulness is being aware of your thoughts and feelings at a certain moment in time. It helps ground you in the present and helps you to control the amount of things that you are thinking about. Sit down and focus on your breathing. Then count 5 things that you can see, 4 things you can hear, 3 things you can touch, 2 things you can smell, and 1 thing you can taste during the precise moment you are trying to be mindful. Doing this once a day will strengthen your ability to control your emotions and ease your stress. Try finding time to do this in your daily life for about 5-10 minutes. Remember, it’s not about invalidating your emotions, feelings, or thoughts; it’s about recognizing them so you can have a better understanding of your own mental state. 

You are going to crush this spring semester! I wish you the best with your classes and managing your mental health. Remember that if, at any time, it feels like you can’t manage it alone or you want someone to talk to, various health groups and resources are available on campus to support you. 

Hannah Hurtado

Williams '25

I am a prospective triple major at Williams College with various passions for mental health, community activism, and equal rights protection. I hope that my work reflects this and helps educate and uplift the women around me.