Women-Hosted Podcasts that are Heavy in my Listening Rotation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Whether you are on a walk, taking a long drive, or just want to listen to something while you complete your house chores, podcasts are the go-to form of on-the-go entertainment. However, I know filtering through content to find podcasts you enjoy can be a long, tedious process. With that being said, I am happy to share (in no particular order) three of my favourite podcasts. And as a fantastic added bonus: they are all hosted by super cool women.

1. Anything Goes by Emma Chamberlain.

Especially if you are in your 20s, Emma Chamberlain, a fellow 20-year-old herself, uses her podcast in a way that makes it feel as though you’re chatting with one of your best friends — it is incredibly down-to-earth. Every episode is a ramble in which she talks at length about whatever is on her mind that week — relationships, pet peeves, advice, health and wellness and so many other random topics. Emma’s casual, laid-back podcasting format makes her content so easily digestible, creating a strong sense of comfort when listening. If you are looking for a podcast that falls into the realm of easy listening, Anything Goes never fails to do the trick.

2. Ologies with Alie Ward by Alie Ward.

Every episode, Alie Ward pairs up with a field or industry professional to dive into a different ‘ology’, offering their insight, perspectives and experiences to viewers who can take away tidbits of scientific knowledge about anything and everything. Whether it be vampirology aka vampires, lutrinology aka otters, somnology aka sleep, ludology aka video games, or astrobiology aka aliens, the list of topics goes on and on — there truly is something for everyone. This podcast can expand your knowledge or teach you something completely new, but either way, its witty and charming dynamic makes learning engaging and enjoyable for all who listen.

3. True Crime with Kendall Rae.

This recommendation is for my fellow true crime consumers. Kendall Rae is a true crime content creator who does an excellent job retelling true crime in a victim-oriented, empathetic way that keeps victims and their loved ones at the forefront of their stories. She covers infamous cases and spreads awareness regarding current, low-profile cases for victims, their family members and friends who can benefit from having their stories circulated in the media. Kendall Rae truly defines the importance of being an ‘active true-crime follower’ — someone who consumes true crime content while actively sharing cases to spread awareness and donates to victims or their loved ones in need of support, not participating in internet gossip or rumour-sharing about cases. If you are struggling to find true crime content that does not glorify killers, sensationalize crime or exploit the stories of victims, this podcast is a great place to start.

While there are so many other wonderful podcasts hosted by women to enjoy, these are some of my favourites that are heavy in my listening rotation at the moment. You cannot go wrong with any of these picks the next time you’re looking for a new podcast to indulge in. Enjoy!

Avery Carpino

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Avery is a fourth-year Communications Studies student at Wilfrid Laurier University. She enjoys working out, reading and watching TV shows — The Walking Dead and Suits are shows she always revisits. She also loves spending time with her friends and family. Avery loves being a writer for Laurier’s Her Campus chapter, as writing is her main creative outlet.