Vinai photo 4
Vinai photo 4
Photo by Vickee Yang
Style > Fashion

Winx Club in the Fashion World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

We all know Bratz and Barbie. They’ve influenced our fashion tastes for as long as we can remember. But, do you recall? The most fashionable show of them all? No, Christmas is over. I’m talking about the Winx Club! (Also, so sorry for the bad Rudolph joke.)

This childhood favourite of mine is one for the history books. Not only did it centre feminine leads, but it also helped me believe that I can be powerful and fashionable at the same time. How exactly did the Winx Club influence the fashion world? 

Those of us that were born in the late 90s and early 2000s know the hold that the magical school of Alfea had on our hearts. Not only was fashion critical to the appeal of the characters, but it also demonstrated their personalities to the viewers. 

As the main character, Bloom’s fashion sense shows her laid-back personality as she dresses to include elements of comfort in her outfits. The flare leg and crop top look certainly had its influence on the way most of us dress now. The most fashionable of the group, in my opinion, is Stella. Her outfits are usually more intricate and varying than the others, as far as I’ve noticed. The loose mini tops, often made of silky-satin material, that are popular today remind me of the tops that Stella and some of the other girls wore. 

The friend group was also diverse as many of the girls were people of colour. Flora, the gentle, flower-power queen, has brown skin and Aisha has darker brown skin with textured hair. The fairy well versed in the powers of sound, Musa, represents East Asia, as many fans surmise due to her features. This inclusion inspired a broader group of fashionistas that did not get the same representation as white folks. 

The Winx Club represents the immortalization of Y2K fashion in the hearts of early Gen Z’ers. Time tells all tales and we see that today. Juicy Couture, a brand that we thought was lost in time, made its return. Short skirts are predicted to make a comeback, according to Vogue

Revisiting nostalgia and the desire to stand out from the crowd might have helped these trends to make their way back into the forefront of society. Platforms like TikTok and Instagram helped creators share the inspiration that they got from shows like the Winx Club with fellow fashionistas. The more of us that wear these styles, the more likely it is to become a trend, yet again. 

The world of fashion seems to consist of new ideas, revitalization and constant looping of the two. Similar fashions come and go, while some become staples. Iconic shows from your childhood could inspire a whole new fashion line since it changes the way we see old trends. 

So, there’s more to fashion than we thought, huh? What show could you make look snazzy on the runway? 

Priya Butter

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Priya is a student at Wilfrid Laurier University pursuing an Honours BA in Global Studies. Along with being a writer, Priya is a passionate dancer and advocate. Check out other work by Priya by visiting thedeconstructedsociety.ca !