andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why You Shouldn’t be Ashamed of Meeting Your S.O. on Tinder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

It’s just a dating app, right?

I have heard countless stories of people meeting on Tinder, then lying to family and friends about how they have met their serious, committed partner. Tinder has a reputation for being a simple way to find a quick hookup that lives somewhat close to you, but there’s so much more to this “superficial” app. 

Let’s begin with this: ALMOST EVERYONE IS ON TINDER. 

Okay, maybe this is an exaggeration, but many young adults use Tinder. Tinder is used as a form of socializing and meeting new people (i.e. making friends, going on dates, learning about parties in the area, etc.), which is something that someone would have done if they were meeting someone at a bar, coffee shop, or anywhere else. 

This doesn’t mean that all of these people are superficial; it means that they are putting themselves out there, and there’s nothing wrong with that. These are real people (well, most of them, anyway), and Tinder gives you the chance to meet someone that lives close by that you may not have run into otherwise.

The left and right swiping can be a turn off to people who are looking for real dates, but Tinder is very similar to dating in real life. Dates usually start off by looking at someone’s physical appearance. Whether we want to admit it or not, it’s just how we have been programmed. Attraction to your partner is important in a relationship, and there’s nothing wrong with making sure that you’re attracted to a potential partner. 

Tinder is like being set up on a blind date: you can see pictures and your friend can give you a brief bio, but until you meet them in person, you won’t know what they’re like. Tinder dates are a thing, and they have the potential of turning into a real relationship. It’s (AGAIN) a way to socialize and meet people.

Let’s be real, your friends and family either don’t know or don’t care what Tinder is. You and your significant other are together now, and that’s all that matters. This app speaks nothing of your character, it’s simply a way to meet new people, and you were lucky enough to meet someone who you really care about. I’m not saying this is the best dating app out there for people who are trying to find someone to settle down with, but it shouldn’t be as shameful as many are making it out to be. 

So, leave the excuses behind, don’t be afraid to tell people how you really met your partner. If anything, it’ll be seen as something even more amazing because you have made it out of Tinder with a real relationship. It’s not embarrassing, it’s amazing and can make a great story.

Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.