Why I Love Embracing My Inner Fangirl and Why You Should Too

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Ever since I was a little girl, I’ve gone through many different passions and I’ve always loved expressing them. Although people would sometimes judge me for it, I still embraced them and had the best time. In grade school, one day, someone called me a ‘fangirl’ and I didn’t know what it was. After I looked it up, I thought, ‘Yeah, I guess I am a fangirl.’ Since that day, the term ‘fangirl’ has stuck with me and I love embracing everything it means to be one.

Often, there are negative connotations surrounding being a fangirl. For example, I’ve heard people say they’re ‘crazy,’ ‘excessive’ and ‘obsessed,’ to name a few. However, this isn’t true. People are excited about their passions and should be allowed to express their feelings. Personally, I love to see when someone is passionate about something! Seeing this joy brought out of others makes me so happy!

Because of expressing my passions for Taylor Swift, One Direction, Boygenius, Gracie Abrams and Phoebe Bridgers (to name a few), I got to become friends with people with similar interests! A sense of community is one of the best things about being a fangirl. So many of my best friends are also fangirls and embracing what we’re excited about together is the best feeling! There are also so many communities you can join that revolve around your passions. At Wilfrid Laurier University, we have our own Swift Society, where fellow Swifties get together and just have a good time!

Like having a sense of community, being a fangirl is just genuinely so much fun. For example, I always have something to look forward to, like events or concerts. I can also decorate my room with cool posters, wear merchandise representing the fandom and connect with people worldwide! Just by posting all about my love for Taylor Swift on my TikTok account, I’ve connected with many people I wouldn’t have met otherwise! Posting about my passions online is so much fun and I get to be creative when expressing my inner fangirl!

Whatever you’re passionate about, whether that be books, movies, music, sports or anything else, know that your passion is important and essential! Never let anyone make you feel like you shouldn’t be excited about something you love. Most importantly, be outspoken about it; chances are, at least one other person is just as passionate as you are!

Have fun in life, and don’t let the negative connotations of being a fangirl dictate your sense of happiness. Life is short, so have fun with your passions, make friends, decorate your room, post about it, join a community and be outspoken! Stay true to yourself, and happy fangirling!

Sophia Guardado

Wilfrid Laurier '25

Sophia is an English Literature student at Wilfrid Laurier University. On her free time, you will catch her reading books, taking long nature walks or at the gym!