This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Hi, I’m Maddy and I have one of the least nuclear families out there. I have four parents and I wouldn’t want it any other way.  I’m here to talk to you about why having separated and/or multitudes of parents is actually pretty awesome. 

The opportunity for a huge family

Having separated parents just opens more doors for more people to love you.

Multiple houses

Depending on how far away your parents live from each other, you can go to the other’s house to escape.

Extra holiday parties

2 Christmases? 2 birthdays?! Can’t go wrong with extra attention and presents. 

Siblings

The opportunity for more siblings! Personally, I have the best of both worlds, only child at my mums and younger siblings at my dad’s. It’s the perfect combo. 

Never ending support systems

Having a lot of parents means you also have a lot of support. For some problems, I go to one parent, for other problems I go to another… and another… and another. 

P.S. I understand that having separated parents can be really hard. My parents have been separated my entire life, so I never had to go through the divorce process or had to pick sides, which definitely made my experience easy. If anyone reading this has had negative experiences, I just want to say I’m not glorifying separated parents, just highlighting some of the positive sides! 

Madeleine Prentice

Wilfrid Laurier '19

Madeleine is a fourth-year double English and Medieval and Medievalism Studies major at Wilfrid Laurier. She spends the majority of her time rambling about makeup, memes, and medievalism. On an average night, you can find her snuggled up with her cats watching Netflix and browsing the latest trends on social media.