Why Being a Twin is the Coolest Thing Ever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

This past weekend my twin brother made the five-hour trek from Kingston to Waterloo to come to visit me. Our lives have been so busy that we haven’t had some quality one-on-one twin time in a while. He visited me for just under 48 hours, but it was still cool for him to get a preview of my life here in Waterloo. We had a jam-packed schedule (for which there was a google doc) and tried to cram as much quality time into the weekend as possible. Being a twin is definitely one of the best things that life has brought me and here’s why.

I have a built-in best friend

For my entire life, I never had to go anywhere alone… until I went to university. Everywhere I went and most things I did when I was little, were with my brother. If we didn’t want to make new friends, we didn’t have to because we had each other. On top of having a built-in best friend, I also had a built-in study buddy. We had a pretty great system in elementary school, which basically consisted of me giving my brother my notes and him explaining all the hard concepts to me. It worked out pretty well for us until we got to grade 12 calculus, where neither of us knew what was going on.

Someone to always call you out on your crap

One thing that my brother and I are really good at is accountability. If one of us is doing something stupid, we always call each other out. It’s never a big deal either, just a gentle reminder of something I said I wouldn’t do but ended up doing, or something that is really out of character for either of us. When someone knows you as well as your twin, it’s easy to see when you are acting differently. It’s like having someone be your moral compass when your own moral compass doesn’t seem to be working.

I have my brother to thank for being able to talk to guys so easily

This one is pretty funny, but I think it’s very accurate. Since I can remember, I’ve always had girl and guy friends. This is because I was friends with my brother’s friends, and he was friends with my friends. This means that when I was old enough to start liking boys as more than just friends, it shocked me that some of my friends told me they were scared to talk to the boys in our class. My brother always tells me he never wants to be a part of the boy drama in my life but after some reflection, I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s really his fault it exists in the first place.

Those were just a few of the many reasons why I love being a twin. It is definitely such a unique experience and I’m very lucky that I have someone like my twin brother in my life. We have each other’s backs through everything and are each other’s number one supporter. This is something to be grateful for!

Nora Pandy

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Nora is a business student at Wilfrid Laurier. When she's not busy studying or writing, she loves to read, play competitive board games, dance, drink coffee and tea, eat sushi, and hang out with the people she loves.