Life > Experiences

What I Do On Halloween As Someone Who Doesn’t Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

As someone who has never enjoyed partying, Halloween can be an intimidating time. With the days gone of trick-or-treating, partying is the only thing to do during this spooky season. Although, that can be challenging for people who want to experience the spookiness of Halloween but prefer to avoid parties. I know for me, that’s the case. After I aged out of trick-or-treating, I hosted and attended friends’ birthday parties as they were born on or around Halloween, but as we have moved away due to school, I am left with finding something to do during the scariest night of the year. Here are a few suggestions that I have developed over the years to help ease the FOMO and feel included on Halloween.

Watch a scary movie

While this one is a little cliche, watching a movie can make you feel comfy and cozy in your home while still feeling the effects of Halloween. There’s just something about watching a scary movie on Halloween that sounds thrilling. Just remember, you don’t need to watch a horror movie to have a successful Halloween night. Watch whatever makes you feel comfortable and excited to stay in on Halloween.

Make Halloween snacks

While not everyone loves to bake, Halloween snacks are just so tasty. This happens to be one of my all-time favourite activities to do during a night in. The possibilities are endless with this activity, and you get a fun little treat out of it. Some of my favourite snacks to make are hot dog mummies, candy apples and candy bark. At the end of the day, this activity is meant to be fun and tasty, so get creative and enjoy all the delicious treats you make.

Have a paint night

There’s nothing better than painting the night away. Whether you decide to paint a pumpkin or paint on a pumpkin, the possibilities are endless. Don’t forget to turn on your spooky Halloween music and enjoy the night.

Get dressed up

One of my favourite things to do is get dressed up on Halloween. It still makes me feel included in the fun traditions of Halloween, but I get to do all my favourite things without actually going out to party. Some popular options this year include Barbie, Wednesday Addams, Taylor Swift and any Disney princess. Just have fun with it and get creative. I mean, Halloween is a night of creativity after all.

Remember that Halloween doesn’t have to be a night you dread or wish never happened. It can be fun and exciting. It is all about your perspective and how you choose to spend the night. You can choose to do multiple activities or even just one. It all depends on what you want to do. Remember that if all else fails and you are still looking for a pick-me-up, candy is half off the next day.

Amanda Morrison

Wilfrid Laurier '24

4th-year Psychology and Sociology major with a minor in Criminology at Wilfrid Laurier University.