What Book You Should Read Based on Your Favourite Song on 1989 (Taylor’s Version)

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

1989 (Taylor’s Version) is finally here! Personally, I’ve been listening to it on repeat ever since it was released. As a book girlie, it’s had me thinking about all the books that I’ve read that remind me of all these amazing songs. So, if you’re a book girlie just like me, here is what book you should read based on your favourite song from 1989 (Taylor’s Version)!

‘Welcome to New York’ and ‘In Five Years’by Rebecca Serle

This book is about love, friendship, loyalty, destiny and of course, New York. This book is filled with all the things that there is to love about New York, and it makes you want to go there immediately, just like the song does!

‘Blank Space’ and ‘Exes and O’s’ by Amy Lea

Tara Chen has a long list of ex-lovers, ten to be exact, who all dumped her for being “too clingy”. However, she doesn’t let that deter her from her search for finding the one. She even decides to revisit her list of exes, hoping to secure a second-chance romance. Trevor Metcalfe could be her forever… or it could all go down in flames.

‘Style’ and ‘Practice Makes Perfect’ by Sarah Adams

A good girl flower shop owner meets a bad boy bodyguard who acts as her dating coach. Things could come crashing down but these two never go out of style.

‘Out Of The Woods’ and ‘For the Wolf ‘by Hannah Whitten

This “Little Red Riding Hood” meets “Beauty and the Beast” retelling felt like the perfect recommendation for this song! This fantasy book also gives a bit of Folklore vibes because of the aesthetic of the story.

‘All You Had To Do Was Stay’ and ‘Happy’ Place by Emily Henry

This book is about a couple who recently separated without their friends knowing. When their annual friend trip comes around, the two need to pretend to be still engaged, which definitely causes some tension and some drama. These two are definitely this song in fictional human form!

‘Shake It Off’ and ‘The Black Flamingo’ by Dean Atta

This is a book that is told through poems. It is all about identity and the struggles that the main character has had to face. But as the very wise Miss Swift once said, the haters gonna hate, I’m just gonna shake it off and that’s exactly what he does!

‘I Wish You Would’ and ‘Final Offer’by Lauren Asher

This is the third book in the Dreamland Billionaire series, and it really reminds me of “I Wish You Would.” This is a small-town romance with the single mom trope and deals with some serious topics but overall, their story is very similar to the song.

‘Bad Blood’ and ‘Good Girl, Bad Blood’ by Holly Jackson

I had no choice but to recommend the second book in the A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder series; it literally had bad blood in the title! The mystery the romance, truly the perfect book to read if “Bad Blood” is your favourite song.

‘Wildest Dreams’ and ‘The Playlist’by Morgan Elizabeth

If you’re a Swiftie, you absolutely have to read this book. It’s filled with so many Taylor Swift songs… literally, every chapter is titled after one of her songs! This book truly could’ve gone with a number of songs, but it just felt right to pair it with “Wildest Dreams.”

‘How You Get The Girl’ and ‘How You Get The Girl by Anita Kelly

Okay, so this book isn’t actually out yet but I mean, its title is based on this song, so it would be criminal of me to not include it on this list. This book is a workplace rom-com that I personally can’t wait to read when it comes out on February 13th, 2024.

‘This Love’ and ‘Love and Other Words’ by Christina Lauren

This is Macy and Elliot’s song. Their love literally came back from the dead after they hadn’t seen each other after years apart. After their time apart, their love came back to them. “This Love” is truly the perfect song to represent their relationship in this book.

‘I Know Places’ and ‘When In Rome’by Sarah Adams

This is actually the first book in a series with Practice Makes Perfect mentioned earlier. In this book, Rae Rose, a famous singer, is burnt out from years of fame, so she escapes to Rome, Kentucky, to escape her reality. It’s there that she meets Noah, a baker, who shows her places they won’t be found and gives her all the small-town experiences that she’s been missing.

‘Clean’ and ‘It Ends With by Colleen Hoover

Clean and It Ends With Us are definitely a perfect pairing. Both are so deep and profound, talking about difficult circumstances and getting clean from those events. The lyrics from Clean beautifully match the meaning behind It Ends With Us.

‘Wonderland’ and ‘Heartless’ by Marissa Meyer

The aesthetic of this book fits perfectly with this song. This fantasy romance book is actually a retelling of “Alice in Wonderland,” which makes this an even better match!

‘You Are In Love’ and ‘Say You Swear’by Megan Brandy

This book messed me up in so many ways. This friends-to-lovers book has so many small, simple moments that truly show that they are in love, true love.

‘New Romantics’ and ‘Red, White and Royal Blue’ by Casey McQuiston

Alex and Henry are honestly so New Romantics coded. There are so many lyrics that fit perfectly into Alex and Henry’s story, so this really is the perfect pairing.

‘”Slut!”’ and ‘Addicted to You by Krista and Becca Ritchie

This book series is what I imagine a Gossip Girl and Friends mashup would be like. Lily and Loren’s story is honestly so similar to the lyrics in “Slut!”, particularly for Lily. There are ten books in this series, but Addicted to You is the first one, so you can still read it even if you’re not ready for that much commitment!  

‘Say Don’t Go’ and ‘Twisted Love’ by Ana Huang

This song is filled with betrayal, just like what happens in Twisted Love. Honestly, this book is unhinged, but it’s still a fun romance read, especially if you love Say Don’t Go.

‘Now That We Don’t Talk’ and ‘We Don’t Talk Anymore’ by Julie Johnson

This book is about Josephine and Archer, who have been best friends since they were kids. When Josephine realizes that she can’t just be his friend, that confession doesn’t go well and makes things very similar to Now That We Don’t Talk.

‘Suburban Legends’ and ‘Daisy Jones and the Six by Taylor Jenkins Ried

Daisy and Billy were born (written) to be national treasures. As soon as I heard this song, I immediately thought of them. There are simply too many connections between the lyrics and this book.

‘Is It Over Now?’ And ‘Magnolia Parks’by Jessa Hastings

Honestly, Magnolia Parks fits pretty well with all the vault tracks, but Is It Over Now? truly feels like it was written for this book. If this is your favourite song, you’ll definitely want to read Magnolia and BJ’s story.

If you’re a book lover and Taylor fan, you should definitely give these books a read! They’re all available on Amazon and can likely be found at your local bookstore! Also, don’t forget to always check trigger warnings before starting a book to make sure that it’s right for you!

Kylie Squire

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Kylie is a 4th year student at WLU studying French with a minor in History. When she’s not busy studying, she loves to read, write, daydream about travelling the world and listen to One Direction on repeat.