Wellness > Health

Ways to Relax and Recharge this Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

The months and weeks leading up to the holiday season are often jam-packed for us university students. Long days sitting in front of your computer and all-night study sessions become the norm with final assignments, research papers and exams quickly approaching. By the time it’s all over, many of us enter the holiday season feeling drained and burnt out, these feelings often lingering into the beginning of the second semester. To start the new year of school off on the right foot, it’s important to take the time to relax and recharge over the holiday season.

1. Decorate your home.

Wallow in the festiveness of the holiday season and decorate your home! If you celebrate, put up a Christmas tree and fill your home with holiday-themed decorations such as lights, ornaments, stockings and wreaths that will be sure to liven up your space and brighten up your mood. It doesn’t have to be a chore; put on some cozy loungewear or pyjamas, turn on some music (Christmas music, if you’re a fan) and get into the festive spirit.

2.  Bake some holiday treats.

The holiday season is the perfect time to enjoy some festive desserts — better yet, homemade festive desserts. Take it from me: you don’t have to be a super-experienced baker to make something delicious. Some of my favourites include chewy gingersnaps, white chocolate raspberry cookies and chocolate bark, otherwise known as ‘Christmas crack.’ You can also never go wrong with the Pillsbury sugar cookies, preferably with a Christmas tree, reindeer or snowman on them, that you can just throw in the oven.

3. Have a movie or TV show marathon.

Whether you’re a fan of the traditional Christmas and Hallmark films or just want to watch a personal favourite, cozying up for a movie and/or TV show marathon is the perfect way to unwind on a cold and snowy night this holiday season.

4. Enjoy the winter weather.

Don’t get me wrong, I know that winter comes with some freezing cold, miserable weather that can be hard to enjoy. On those days, that’s when you can decorate your home, bake or have a movie/TV show marathon indoors. Otherwise, there are lots of fun outdoor winter activities to take part in this holiday season. Capitalize on the best time of year to ski, snowboard and/or ice skate. Even if winter sports aren’t your thing, bundling up for winter walks is a great form of exercise, with the crisp, fresh air making for a very peaceful atmosphere.       

5. Spend quality time with friends and family.

While relaxing and recharging are sometimes best done alone, you can also enjoy all the activities described above and much more while surrounded by friends and/or family. The holidays are the perfect time to slow down, put the busyness of everyday student life on pause and connect with loved ones.

I hope you take full advantage of this holiday season by trying some of these surefire ways to relax and recharge before jumping back into school in the new year.

Avery Carpino

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Avery is a fourth-year Communications Studies student at Wilfrid Laurier University. She enjoys working out, reading and watching TV shows — The Walking Dead and Suits are shows she always revisits. She also loves spending time with her friends and family. Avery loves being a writer for Laurier’s Her Campus chapter, as writing is her main creative outlet.