Ways to Remember in November

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Although it feels like summer, November is upon us, and with it comes a time of remembrance. Since we are no longer in high school there isn’t a guarantee that in the weeks leading up to Remembrance Day we’ll be actively engaging in discussions about the World Wars, why we celebrate Remembrance Day, and how we can support our troops and veterans. We’ve compiled some ways to keep Remembrance in your heart this November.

1.  Buy (and wear) a poppy

Legion members, cadets, and other volunteers work hard distributing poppies to raise money for the Legion so that they can help provide services for veterans and communities. Moreover, the symbol of the poppy is to commemorate those who have passed in the line of duty protecting you an your country. The poppy is supposed to be worn on your left side closest to your heart. To learn more about poppies, you can visit the Legion’s website

2. Take a stroll through Veterans’ Green

Located just off campus, at the corner of University and Hazel, Veterans’ Green is the perfect place to take a walk and reflect.

3. Attend a Remembrance Day ceremony

There will be a parade and service at the Waterloo Cenotaph, located on Regina near city hall, hosted by the Waterloo Legion on November 11th from 10:30AM-11:30AM.

4. Take a moment of silence

On the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month, we take a moment of silence to remember those who have died fighting for our country. No matter where you are, try to stop and give a moment of reflection.

5. Engage in a discussion

Remembrance Day is all about remembering our veterans and honouring those who have fought for our freedom. What better way to remember than discussing ways that we can help our veterans and support our troops, as well as reflecting back on wars and the struggles we currently face.

However you decide to remember this November, it’s time to be thankful for what we have and honour those who helped give it to us.

Danielle McKay

Wilfrid Laurier

I'm a third year double English and Communications major at Wilfrid Laurier University. My love for pop culture is limitless and I watch far too much television for my own good. I aspire to work in Public Relations or a related field when I'm finished my degree. My role models include Amy Poehler, Tina Fey, Emma Watson, Jackie Kennedy and Walt Disney.
Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem