sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Use this Season to Put the Spring Back in Your Step

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Oh, the joys of spring! The weather hugs your soul and hits you like a good cup of coffee. What a re-leaf it’s finally spring — I love spring! It’s the season of happiness and growth, so why not seize the day? I mean, spring is the perfect time to turn over a new leaf!

What I hope to do with this article is encourage you to develop a healthier mindset that will compliment the changing seasons quite nicely. The first step to a healthier mindset is gratitude. When you reflect on all the things you have to be thankful for, it lifts your spirits. Don’t let yourself slip into the victim mindset. Even when you think you’re down on your luck, you’re still lucky — you just have to change your perspective.

The next step is to allow yourself to believe that, no matter what, everything will be okay. Oftentimes, probably due to my anxiety, I allow my imagination to corrupt situations and their potential consequences. I lose sight of reality and I let fear take the reins. The truth is, fear should not rule your life. If you are in a toxic relationship with fear, the first thing you need to do is realize this. Once you recognize the dictation of fear, you can actively work against it.  

The third step is to realize you are loved. I am fortunate enough to have a strong familial support system that is unconditional, and chances are you are in a similar scenario — you may not even realize it. In the past, I often let my mind trick me into thinking that if I messed up, I would be unworthy of love — but this was never the case. We are all human, we all make mistakes and still we are all worthy of love. Once you recognize a space where you can love and be loved unconditionally, hold on tight and never let go.

Last bud not least, the fourth step (mind you, these are in no particular order) is to live consciously. Not only live in the present day, but know that tomorrow is never guaranteed. Stop focusing so much on how great your life will be “one day”, and start living and loving the simple day-to-day pleasures in front of you, here and now!

These are just four steps to a healthier mindset; chances are they may not take you all the way there, but at the very least they’ll point you in the right direction. The destination? Life in full bloom!

Simmone Huras

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Simmone Huras is a 3rd year Political Science Major at Wilfrid Laurier University.
Madeline McInnis

Wilfrid Laurier '19

Madeline graduated from the BA+MA program at Wilfrid Laurier University in 2020. In her undergraduate degree, she majored in Film Studies and History with a specialization in film theory. She later completed her Master's of English degree, where she wrote her thesis on the construction of historical memory and realism in war films. If you're looking for a recommendation for a fountain pen or dotted notebook, she should be your first line of contact.