Culture > Digital

Underrated Artists You Need to Add to Your Playlist Immediately

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Are you tired of the same old songs dominating your playlist? It’s time to discover a fresh wave of musical talent that’s been flying under the radar. I’ve compiled a list of ten incredibly underrated musicians who are ready to bring a unique twist to your playlist!

Maisie Peters

Maisie Peters is making waves in folk-pop, captivating audiences with emotive lyrics and catchy melodies. Her music is filled with relatable storytelling and infectious rhythms. Some of my favourite songs by her are I’m Trying (Not Friends), Lost The Breakup and This List. Maisie Peters is a total girl boss that you need to listen to immediately if you haven’t yet!

Jonah Kagen

Jonah Kagen introduces a breath of fresh air with his folk-infused tunes. Dive into his music discography to discover tracks that skillfully blend acoustic vibes with introspective lyrics. I currently have his songs Georgia and The Roads on repeat!

Renée Rapp

Renée Rapp is likely the most well-known person on this list but for some reason, her music just doesn’t get the recognition it deserves. Our soon-to-be Regina George has so many good songs like In The Kitchen, Poison Poison and Snow Angel that are so underrated. If you haven’t heard her music yet, you definitely need to check it out asap!

Cian Ducrot

You might know him for singing with a choir in very random places on TikTok to promote his song I’ll Be Waiting. These videos helped get that song some well-deserved popularity, but he has so many other great songs like Part Of Me and All For You, that deserve the same love and appreciation.

Forest Blakk

A few years ago, his song If You Love Her got pretty popular but besides that, the rest of his music is so underrated. One of my personal favourites by him is Fall Into Me but honestly all of his songs are so good. Forest Blakk’s bluesy ballads infuse raw emotion into every note and will be a great addition to your playlist.

Dean Lewis

Despite having some songs that has blown up on TikTok like Waves, Be Alright and How Do I Say Goodbye, Dean Lewis is still a very underrated artist. He doesn’t have a single song that I don’t love. Dean Lewis is a master of crafting songs that resonate with raw emotion and relatable narratives. He truly captures the highs and lows of the human experience, making him a must-add to your playlist.

Sydney Rose

Sydney Rose brings some indie-pop magic that’s impossible to ignore. You can listen to her dreamy melodies and poetic lyrics in songs like Unmade Bed and Pretty Words.  Sydney Rose’s artistry is a perfect addition for those seeking a blend of catchy hooks and thoughtful lyricism.

Will Linley

Will Linley injects a burst of energy into his music with his collection of upbeat tunes. You definitely need to explore his repertoire for tracks that deliver infectious rhythms and positive vibes. From the lively beats of Magic to the feel-good anthem Tough (The Girls Song) Linley’s music is a perfect addition to your playlist for those moments when you need an uplifting boost!

Jessica Mazin

Jessica Mazin specializes in crafting emotional acoustic ballads that tug at the heartstrings. Her songs The Devil and The Peak of My Existence are fixtures on my playlist and definitely should be added to your playlist asap!

Alexa Cappelli

Alexa Cappelli’s music is a delightful mix, offering everything from upbeat pop anthems to soul-soothing ballads. Whether you’re in the mood to dance or unwind, Cappelli’s dynamic range has you covered. From the infectious energy of SAY SOMETHING to the heartfelt serenade of Someone Better, her versatility guarantees there’s a track for every moment.

There are so many artists out there who simply don’t get the recognition and the attention that they truly deserve. This list could honestly go on and on but for now, here are ten of my current favourite underrated artists that you should definitely give a listen to if you haven’t already!

Kylie Squire

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Kylie is a 4th year student at WLU studying French with a minor in History. When she’s not busy studying, she loves to read, write, daydream about travelling the world and listen to One Direction on repeat.