Things You Should Be Cleaning but Probably Aren’t

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

If you’re like me, self-isolation means frantically cleaning your entire apartment to procrastinate the actual work that has to get done. Whether it be the kitchen, the closets or the bedroom, cleaning during a pandemic is not a bad idea. But I bet you didn’t realize that you should be cleaning these things as well…

Remotes

When you think about it, this actually makes a lot of sense. Think about how many people are touching the remote on a daily basis. The accumulation of dirt, grease and crumbs is enough to make any procrasti-cleaner like myself cringe. Grab a disinfecting spray and wipe it down!

Toothbrush Holder

So, I just realized I should be cleaning the holder about a week ago. Basically, I just bought a new one because going 7 months without rinsing a cup is something that accumulates after a while. When I say it was gross, I mean it was GROSS. There were 50 shades of toothpaste, water and who knows what else in the bottom of that cup. 

Car Steering Wheel

I know this one isn’t in your house, but think about it. You probably touch a lot of things in your day, and at the end of your day, you hop in your car to drive home. Do you wash your hands before you get into the car? Probably not. All the bacteria on your hands from your day is now in your car…something you probably use almost daily. No thank you. I keep a pack of Lysol wipes in my trunk and wipe it once a week now.

Door Locks/Deadbolts

So, you probably clean your door handles, and if not, do that too. BUT, if you clean your handles, you may have forgotten about the deadbolt! You touch that on average about half as much as the door handle. That is still a lot of germs to deal with!

Trashcan

Well, obviously it seems a bit contradictory to clean something that you put garbage in but trust me when I say it will extend the longevity of your trash can. Just rinse it with a quick mix of 5-parts water and 1-part vinegar in the bathtub. If you can, let it sit for about 10 minutes and then rinse.

Phone

With the pandemic right now, I recommend washing your phone daily if possible. A quick wipe with an antibacterial wipe will do the trick! Think about how often you touch your phone and how little you clean it. EW! On that note…

Keyboard

Same deal. You touch your keyboard A LOT. Especially if you are a university student. 

Keys

While we are on the topic of things you touch every day but don’t wash, YOUR KEYS. You use them almost every day, so you should be giving them a quick wipe as well!

Washing Machine

Whether you use the water and vinegar mix or a store-bought cleaner, you should be cleaning your washing machine about once a month. After all, the thing that cleans your clothes should be generally clean too.

Obviously, there are a lot of other things that you should be cleaning as a part of your daily routine. These are just a few things that you should be cleaning if you aren’t already. You have the extra time, so why not take the initiative and start cleaning them?

Taya Smith

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Taya is in her 4th year of her English major with minors in both Psychology and Criminology. When she is not drinking abundant amounts of coffee, you can find her procrastinating her school work by any means necessary. She is passionate about writing and hopes to pursue a career in either education or law.
Sarah McCann

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Sarah is a fourth year Communications and Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University who is passionate abut female empowerment. She is one of two Campus Correspondents for the Laurier Her Campus Chapter! Sarah loves dancing, animals, photography, ice cream, and singing super obnoxiously, in no particular order.