Wellness

Things to do this Winter to Reduce your Screen Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

When the snow comes down and the temperature drops, it’s easy to want to stay under the covers and on your phone all day. However, this can lead to a decline in mood which can turn into seasonal depression. Many people think that because the weather outside is bad, there are limitations to what you can spend your time doing. You can’t go anywhere, you can’t spend time outside and your motivation to do anything drops. This winter, rather than watching Netflix or TikTok for hours, you can spend your time trying new activities and improving your serotonin levels to fight that seasonal depression off. Winter doesn’t have to be a dreary time; it can be a time to grow skills and have creative fun as well.

Bring Out Your Inner Child

One thing I’ve started doing during study breaks and free time to get off screens and embrace my creativity is doing things I’d typically do as a kid. Getting adult colouring books, making beaded bracelets or picking up a book in your spare time can be fun and positive ways to reduce your screen time. As a kid, phones and technology were never the go-to when you were thinking of an activity. Getting away from that can actually be beneficial in getting you out of the social media world where people are on vacation, embracing their best self and making you wish you were anywhere but in your room studying. Winter is a time to go easier on yourself, move a little slower and try new activities that make you feel that simple happiness you once felt when you were younger.

Move your Body

In the summer, the heat might make it difficult to want to get a workout in and be sweaty and sticky. The good thing about winter is that in order to escape the cold, moving your body and getting a little warmer might be the best thing for you. Spending a little more time in the gym to clear your mind and heat up your body can be beneficial to your health and be a way to get you off your screens. In the winter, walking everywhere is limited and movement can be easy to neglect. Making time to have a screen-free workout can be a great way to make sure you’re still prioritizing your health despite being limited in where you can go.

Spend Time with Loved Ones

With more time being spent indoors, getting creative in activities to do with friends, family and partners becomes important. To reduce that seasonal depression, spending time with loved ones is crucial. This doesn’t have to be boring; activities such as indoor picnics, movie marathons, trivia nights and at-home spa days can be fun and memorable activities to do with people. Take advantage of the time inside, laugh with friends and embrace the coziness of the winter season. Watching the snow fall while you’re surrounded by food and loved ones can be romanticized just as much as the beauty of summer.

When in Doubt, Embrace the Cold

If you’re up to it, embrace the outdoor activities winter offers. Snow can bring many fun activities such as building snowmen, having a snowball fight, skating and bonfires. If you’re feeling adventurous, try out skiing or snowboarding. Or maybe try some sledding or snow tubing. Even if you’re not into outdoor activities, you could also embrace the snow and ice and indulge in some beautiful winter photography or find some winter festivals to walk around with some hot chocolate in hand. Even when the holiday season is over, the snow and cold can be embraced with many outdoor activities.

Many people think that winter limits them and that they have to spend the whole time wishing it was summer. Rather than doing so, take this time and romanticize all the fun indoor and outdoor activities and the advantages the winter season has to offer. This is a time to take things slow, take care of yourself and try something new either by yourself or with loved ones. Your outlook on things is the only thing that matters. Anything and any season can be fun, depending on how you decide to spend your time. So, embrace that snow, embrace the cold and find your favourite winter activity to do each and every year. Soon, you’ll be looking forward to wintertime rather than dreading it.

Kaileigh Klein

Wilfrid Laurier '25

My name is Kaileigh & I am a communication studies student at Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo, Ontario. I am the Vice President of Writing for our Her Campus chapter & love everything there is about writing. My career goals range from journalism to marketing, with interests in all creative fields as I love reading, writing and content creating. I love reality TV & am a huge gym rat, as the gym is my favourite place to be. I am also quite obsessed with Taylor Swift & true crime podcasts.