This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I think we have all been in the situation where one major thing has happened and it’s on our mind all day. Even after the smallest, tiniest incident happens and it can be on our mind for weeks, months — and maybe even years. Just one of the joys of being a girl: we overthink everything. That only gets worse when you’re always worried about someone else’s perception of you. 

What does it mean that your crush sat in a different row today? Why wouldn’t they look at your snapchat story when you posted a cute selfie that you were hoping they would see?

Yes, them. We (us single ladies) all seem to have at least one certain person we really like. Whether they sit in the row in front of us or they are still an old crush from high school, they exist — and we really think about their actions.

Why are they doing that, and what does it have to do with me? Why did they sit a seat closer to me today? Do they like me too, or is it just so they can see better? And who are they with? Just ther friend? Sister? Cousin? It’s all like a romcom done wrong. 

I mean, it can even be the reason us girls take so long to get ready in the morning. We might want to have a lazy day and just wear sweatpants — but we might see that special someone, we feel like we have to be dressed to impress. Which leads into something else girls think about a lot: clothing.

It always feels like we have nothing to wear, even after we just did a pretty extensive shop for new clothes. And this even has a wholebunch of different steps!

1. That extensive shop

It always feels as if we have nothing to wear, no matter how many times you shop for new clothes. Even when you’re having trouble closing that bottom drawer full of clothing, it feels like you have nothing nice to wear. Even though we are fully aware that we definately have something nice to put on, it doesn’t feel that way.

2. Your favourite top

Everyone has a top that they love to wear. We wear our favourite top all the time. Maybe even too often? I mean the last thing we want is for anyone to think is that we have one top. But it looks good, so why not wear it as often as possible? Let’s be honest, no one probably even notices, but that’s what overthinking does!

3. We worry about how we are perceived

How we dress says a lot about who we are. We look at what someone is wearing, and it says a lot about them. This can be scary! But it is also important to note that clothing is a way we express ourselves! Confidence is always key, and it’s always attractive.

Keep your chin up! These are just a few of the things us girls overthink, and it gets hard out there. Believe in yourself and be as authentic as you can — so think about that.

Megan Cruz

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Megan Cruz is a 4th-year film studies student at WLU. She already has a diploma from Vancouver film school for writing for Games, Television, and film. When she isn't writing she can be found in a pillow fort watching cartoons