Wellness

The Struggle of Curly Hair and How to Tame it

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I was 17 years old when I discovered that my poufy, frizzy hair was supposed to be curly. I had been frying and damaging it with heat tools for as long as I could remember and when I began to come across videos of girls discovering their hair was curly, I decided to try treating my hair as they did. It was overwhelming to realize I had been damaging my hair all these years, straightening and curling it just to discover the beauty of my natural curls was being hidden. However, I realized having curly hair was even more of a struggle than having straight hair. I had to learn tricks to tame my locks and it was a wild ride full of failed products and YouTube tutorials.

Not All Products Work on Every Head… And it’s Frustrating

Amidst deciding to care for my curls, I had to discover products that would assist in bringing them back to life. At first, I thought any product labelled “curly hair” would do that. I was terribly wrong and ended up spending an insane amount of money on products that just sit in my cabinet now. Every head is different, and every curl pattern is as well. Curl patterns start with 2A, being the slightest of waves and go all the way to tight coils at 4C. Every curl type in-between must be treated differently, using different products and different methods of styling. Some hair needs gel, while other types are too thin and will become oily by using too much product. And as time goes by, your curl pattern may change and become more defined as you stop using heat. Therefore, your products will change as well. It’s important to remember what works for others may not work for you, so don’t be discouraged and make sure to experiment a little with different mousses, gels and curl creams.

Don’t Go Out with Wet Hair, Especially with Curls

After leaving the shower, it is important to keep your hair as wet as possible prior to styling. The products will work better on a damper head. Never use a regular towel on curly hair as moisture is necessary for more defined curls. A good brush to use would be the Denman Brush, good for after you use a curl cream throughout the entirety of your head. After applying a gel, the scrunching method will unlock some of your curls. However, drying your hair can be challenging as curls may come out looser or frizzier depending on the chosen method. One way of drying is using the plopping method, which involves using a t-shirt to wrap your curls in for hours to dry. Another more popular method is using a diffuser attachment on a blow-dryer. In using a diffuser, always put the heat setting on low and tip your head forward. Dry each section of hair for approximately 30 seconds at a time, trying not to move the diffuser around too much. This will take a while but the curl definition, in the long run, is worth it.

Sleeping on Curly Hair: My Worst Nightmare.

At the beginning of my curly hair journey, I slept as I normally would with my hair flat on a pillow. I would wake up in the morning with my hair a complete disaster, needing to be restyled all over again. And since you should only wash curly hair once or twice a week, it is not ideal to need a complete redo every day. Sleeping on curly hair can be done in several ways. One way would be to put it up in a loose bun or a “pineapple” so that the curls can fall into place once you wake up and therefore not squish. A second way is using a silk scarf to wrap your curls in so that pillowcase friction does not frizz your curls overnight. A third way would be to get a satin pillowcase and use the pineapple method in order to avoid any damage and dryness to your hair. Curly hair needs moisture and regular pillowcases can be damaging to not only curly hair but all hair types. After waking up, you will probably need a quick refresh by squirting your hair with a bit of water and adding some styling cream, but in the end, it is much easier than having to rewash your entire head of hair every morning.

More and More Struggles

Learning to style your hair, figuring out what products work for you and maintaining your curls over a few days is only a handful of the struggles involved with natural curls. Weather can ruin your curls in an instant, with the humidity allowing them to frizz and the rain creating a wet dog appearance. Laying down on a couch and trying not to squish your curls can be frustrating and having people run their hands through your hair can make you insanely angry. Finding a hairdresser with knowledge of cutting curly hair is a huge task and the time allotted for just styling your hair is an event in itself.

Overall, embracing your natural curls can be an amazing and empowering thing. It may take some time to discover a good method for treating your curls and it can be frustrating at times. Patience is key when on your curly hair journey but the reward ending where everyone wishes they had your hair is totally worth it.

Kaileigh Klein

Wilfrid Laurier '25

My name is Kaileigh & I am a communication studies student at Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo, Ontario. I am the Vice President of Writing for our Her Campus chapter & love everything there is about writing. My career goals range from journalism to marketing, with interests in all creative fields as I love reading, writing and content creating. I love reality TV & am a huge gym rat, as the gym is my favourite place to be. I am also quite obsessed with Taylor Swift & true crime podcasts.