The Best Girls’ Night Movies to Celebrate International Women’s Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

March was a pretty packed month, with it being International Women’s Month, the start of Spring (Nowruz Mubarak to those celebrating) and International Transgender Day of Visibility at the end. During this time, Canadians experience what can only be labelled as weather whiplash—from warm sunny days to blizzard flurries. If you’re a wimpy Canadian like me, you take those miserable rainy slush days to watch movies with friends. In honour of International Women’s Month, I asked the inspiring women in my life to name which films inspire them.

Hidden Figures, 2016

My peas-in-a-pod sister chose this one, which was also the first to come to my mind as a contender. She noted that most films that make her feel empowered as a woman are also ones that humble her because of the overwhelming greatness of the characters, which I find to be an interesting contradiction.

Gilmore Girls, 2000-2007

Although not a movie, this one deserves an honourable mention because my sister was absolutely gushing over Lorelai’s character, as well as her impeccable wardrobe.

Legally Blonde, 2001

What’s not to love about – as my friend so accurately put it – “a high femme vibe challenging lame patriarchal institutions”?

Ophelia, 2018

Apparently, the film takes quite an interesting spin, especially if you are familiar with its origin, on Hamlet.

She’s the Man, 2004

Unfortunately, I think we have all had to deal with a “Justin” in our lives and would collectively love to crush his dreams as well.

On the Basis of Sex, 2018

The biographical drama following Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s life and career is simply feminine excellence.

Mulan, 1998

My roommate was quick to think of Mulan for which movie made her feel most empowered as a woman, which makes sense given the choice of this classic. It’s probably problematic that my favourite song from this movie is I’ll Make a Man Out of You, but I definitely understand why she feels strong and capable after watching it.

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, 2003

The yellow dress is iconic, and we love to watch a woman wrap a man around her fingers.

Captain Marvel, 2019

She called it Captain America. I knew what she meant, but it was still so shameful.

Everything Everywhere All at Once, 2022

This multiverse adventure depicts the turmoil and beauty of mother-daughter relationships through two strong female leads.

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, 2022

It was far more difficult for my mother to come to her selection, but Shuri’s leadership made her proud to be a woman and we fangirled over the Dora Milaje female warriors.

Brave, 2012

My mother called me back shortly after our first conversation and just blurted out “Brave” rather than Hello. I do suspect there is a bit of a bias involved with this one. As a redhead, she usually roots for any fellow red-headed character, although we agreed that Ariel could not compete. She definitely inspires me as she parallels this strong hardworking woman, although she’s not a Scottish princess, much to her dismay.

I hope you were able to make time for the women in your life in March but also throughout the year. Happy belated International Women’s Month, and may you find other films and mediums that help you feel empowered and proud to be a woman.

Kaitlyn Electriciteh

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Kaitlyn is a fourth-year business student at Wilfrid Laurier University. She has completed her minor in North American Studies and is now working on her concentration in Marketing. Having started her own custom cakes business, she is obsessed with all things sweet and baked along with dance, literature and travel.