Career

TED Talks That Changed My Perspective on Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

In high school, I used to get bored whenever my teacher said that we were going to be watching a TED Talk in class and answering a page full of questions about it. That’s mainly because most of the time it would be about science, which I never had that much interest in. However, once I discovered that there were TED Talks about more than just the subjects learned at school, I found many that were far more interesting to me. Not only were some of the TED Talks that I found interesting, but many of them began to change my perspective on how I viewed my life and the elements within it.

“The Space Between Self-Esteem and Self-Compassionby Kristin Neff

Kristin delves into the delicate balance between fostering a healthy sense of self-worth and cultivating compassion for oneself in this TED Talk. Drawing on her extensive research, Kristin challenges conventional notions of self-esteem and introduces the concept of self-compassion as a more sustainable and fulfilling alternative. She guides listeners through the essential components of self-compassion, offering practical insights and transformative tools for navigating life’s challenges. She reminds us of the vital importance of treating ourselves with the same kindness and compassion that we treat all our loved ones with.

“You Are Not Alone in Your Loneliness” by Jonny Sun

Jonny Sun delivers a heartfelt and relatable exploration of the universal experience of feeling alone. From the perspective of someone who has grappled with isolation, Jonny shares poignant insights and personal anecdotes, creating an intimate connection with the audience. In a world seemingly dominated by social connections, Jonny’s talk validates the emotions of those who often find themselves on the periphery. He dismantles the stigma around loneliness, offering a comforting reminder that many others share similar struggles. Jonny’s TED Talk is a reassuring reminder that loneliness is a shared journey and in embracing our vulnerability, we find strength and solidarity.  

“How to Find Humor in Life’s Absurdity”by Maira Kalman

Through Maira’s TED Talk, she invites us into her whimsical world where humour becomes a powerful lens to view life’s peculiarities. With her unique blend of artistry and storytelling, Maira explores the beauty hidden in the mundane, turning everyday observations into sources of joy and laughter. As someone who’s embraced life’s absurdities, she encourages us to adopt a similar mindset, finding solace and amusement in the unpredictable twists and turns of our journeys. Through her lens, the ordinary becomes extraordinary and laughter becomes a transformative force, reminding us to cherish the mundane and chaotic moments in our lives.

“A Teen Just Trying to Figure It Out” by Tavi Gevinson

The first time that I heard this TED Talk I was a confused teenager in high school. Years later, as a confused university student, it’s still very relatable. Tavi explores the complexities of self-discovery, body image and the quest for authenticity in a world that often imposes unrealistic expectations. With wit and wisdom, she shares personal anecdotes, encouraging listeners to embrace the messiness of growing up and finding strength in vulnerability. Tavi’s talk is a refreshing reminder that it’s okay not to have everything figured out. She offers solace and empowerment to everyone that’s just trying to navigate life.

“Enough with the Fear of Fat” by Kelli Jean Drinkwater

In Kelli Jean Drinkwater’s TED Talk, Enough with the Fear of Fat, she speaks directly to the heart of anyone who’s ever struggled with body image. She shares her journey that mirrors the struggles many of us face in a world that often dictates unrealistic beauty standards. Through her own experiences, Kelli challenges the beauty standards we’ve all been fed, making you question why we’ve let these toxic ideas exist for so long. For those of us who’ve struggled with not only accepting, but loving ourselves, Kelli’s talk becomes a kind of roadmap, showing that embracing your true self is a powerful act. This is truly a supportive TED Talk, reminding us that beauty isn’t a one-size-fits-all deal!

“We Don’t ‘Move On’ from Grief. We Move Forward with it” by Nora McInerny

Nora McInerny’s TED Talk, We Don’t “Move On” from Grief. We Move Forward with it, is a powerful and much-needed conversation about navigating the rocky terrain of loss. In a world where grief is often treated as a taboo topic, Nora dismantles the myth that time heals all wounds. She challenges societal expectations to neatly “move on” and offers solace to those who’ve experienced the isolation that comes with loss. For everyone who’s suffered a loss and felt like they needed to be silent in their grief, Nora reminds us that it’s more than okay to talk about loss openly and honestly. Nora McInerny’s TED Talk encourages us to move forward with our grief, break down the taboo and embrace the complexities of healing.

“Asking for Help is a Strength, Not a Weakness” by Michelle L. Sullivan

Michelle dismantles the stigma around vulnerability and shares her personal journey of overcoming adversity in her TED Talk, Help is a Strength, not a Weakness. Through her inspiring narrative, Michelle challenges the misconception that seeking assistance is a sign of weakness. Instead, she reframes it as an act of strength and courage, emphasizing the importance of connection and support in navigating life’s challenges. Her talk serves as a powerful reminder that reaching out for help is not only a courageous choice but a vital step towards personal growth and resilience.

These TED Talks, ranging from embracing self-compassion to challenging societal norms, have left a mark on my perspective towards life. There are so many incredible TED Talks out there, so no matter what you’re struggling with or passionate about, I’m sure that there’s a TED Talk out there for you. Plus who knows, it may change your perspective on some things!

Kylie Squire

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Kylie is a 4th year student at WLU studying French with a minor in History. When she’s not busy studying, she loves to read, write, daydream about travelling the world and listen to One Direction on repeat.