Take Back the Night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Have you ever pretended to be on the phone while walking home alone? Have you ever walked quickly with your phone in hand or checked behind you every half-block while walking at night? As a woman, have you ever thought about how unacceptable it is that you should feel the need to do any of these things?

The Sexual Assault Support Centre of Waterloo Region invites you to Take Back the Night! The event will take place on Thursday September 25th, 2014 at 6 pm starting in front of Kitchener City Hall.

Take Back the Night is an international event and non-profit organization with the mission to stand up for women’s right to be safe from violence, regardless of age, creed, location, numbers, or attire. The idea behind Take Back the Night began with a tribunal council in Europe that formed in response to restrictions placed upon women and children after dark. The earliest Take Back the Night marches date back to the late 1960’s in response to the physical and sexual violence exerted upon women walking alone at night. The march went international by the end of the 1970’s and spread quickly through Belgium, Germany, Italy, and England among other countries. Take Back the Night has gained momentum in recent years with the growing media coverage of the horrors experienced by victims of assault all too often on college campuses.

Over the past few years in Kitchener-Waterloo, we have experienced several instances of assault and sexual harassment targeted at young women walking home alone at night. These attacks have happened at various times in various locations, many surrounding Wilfrid Laurier University and the University of Waterloo campuses. It has become common knowledge that Hazel and Hickory is an intersection to avoid at night, especially alone, after several incidences occurred there last year. This sad reality is what Take Back the Night is determined to change. By standing together and marching, we tell potential predators and that we are determined to take back the night and finally feel safe.

As a symbolic gesture to say that women should not have to be escorted by men in order to exercise their right to go where they want without fear, the march is for women, transfolk, and children. All are welcome; there will be activities for men to participate in during the march to show support. Come join us in raising awareness on this very serious issue. Come Take Back the Night! 

You can find out more about this event on the Take Back the Night Facebook page here

Andreia McLean

Wilfrid Laurier

Chelsea Birtch

Wilfrid Laurier

Chelsea is one of the Campus Correspondent's for the HC WLU chapter! She has a passion for writing and is an avid reader who aspires to be an elementary school teacher. As well as being involved with Her Campus, she is also a sister of the Iota Theta chapter of Alpha Phi.