Wellness > Sex + Relationships

So You’re Single on Valentine’s Day — Who Cares?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

With Valentine’s Day approaching, I was looking for ideas on what to write that would be on theme. I brainstormed with friends who suggested topics such as Galentine’s, single V-Day plans, etc., all of which revolve around being single. 

But as a single person, I didn’t really want to write something like that for fear of coming off as a bitter single person or look sad for writing about being single. Not that anyone else who does comes off that way, it’s just personal anxiety as a perpetually single person who has a billion friends who constantly agonize over my singledom. Since everyone else cares about me being single so bad and I just do not, it makes love-centred things such as Valentine’s Day a little uncomfortable. 

So while brainstorming, I kept thinking ew, that’s not me, nope. I realized I just didn’t want to write about V-Day in general — not because I’m single. It’s just not something I’ve ever really cared about, not while in a relationship and not while single. ​
But there’s this stigma attached to Valentine’s Day when you’re single. Everyone pictures girls desperately searching for dates — or someone to buy them flowers and chocolates. Newsflash people: we’re grown and we can buy our own damn chocolates. I don’t need some boy to do that for me — they probably wouldn’t even get the right kind, so like, what’s the point? ​
Still, I didn’t want to write for this fear of looking bitter about being alone and I didn’t want to write about planning a “me day,” girls’ night — or anything anti-V-Day — because honestly, to me it’s just like any other day. You won’t catch me crying over being alone on this Hallmark-decided day of love. Okay, well, that might not be completely true, I may be crying, but that’s only because I have a big midterm that day. See people? I have bigger problems than worrying about my lack of gifted chocolates on the fourteenth: I have to worry about passing a class that I haven’t done any readings for yet!

I guess you could say I’m just not romantic. I don’t like dates, I don’t like all that mushy lovey-dovey stuff, so the whole concept just kind of makes me roll my eyes. Even if I was happily in a relationship right now, you wouldn’t catch me writing about “The Perfect Valentine’s Day Date,” because I would probably still be at home watching Netflix with my boo. Netflix and chill over everything, am I right? 

But even so, I don’t consider myself a V-Day hater or anything — I just don’t really care! This isn’t to say I think romantic people are lame — or that I’m judging people that love it and are excited for the dates and big romantic gestures, it’s just not for me. 

So, I guess you could say this is a bit of a love letter to single people — Don’t worry about however you feel about Valentine’s Day. If you love it, great; if you hate it, it’s just another day, right? Just think about the even more exciting fifteenth of February — when all the chocolate goes on sale. ​
Don’t let the lovers get ya down!

Madeleine Prentice

Wilfrid Laurier '19

Madeleine is a fourth-year double English and Medieval and Medievalism Studies major at Wilfrid Laurier. She spends the majority of her time rambling about makeup, memes, and medievalism. On an average night, you can find her snuggled up with her cats watching Netflix and browsing the latest trends on social media.