Style > Fashion

Six Pieces to Prepare Your Spring Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

With spring finally around the corner, if you’re anything like me, it’s time to begin thinking about what to wear in the warmer weather. What I love about spring is that it’s the perfect season to play with your style before getting right into summer. I know altering your style after a season of being in your go-to comfort sweatsuit may sound intimidating. So, this is why I’ll be providing six of my favourite fashion recommendations as an inspiration or general direction to transition into the new season.

1. Midi Skirts

Midi skirts are one of my absolute favourite timeless trends because they’re so effortless and can easily be dressed up or down. The length itself is perfect for spring weather, especially in the cooler days of spring as these skirts pair wonderfully with boots and certain warm tops, such as knit sweaters or trench coats.

2. Ballerina Flats

The recent rise in the popularity that ballerina flats have been receiving makes me thrilled. I absolutely love wearing these shoes every day in the warmer weather as they can not only be so stylish, but also are a more comfortable alternative to heels. These shoes can be worn on all sorts of occasions from casual day-to-day to formal nights out. Providing a wide variety of colours and designs, these shoes are a fantastic way to experiment with your style.

3. Athleisure Jackets

A classic athleisure jacket is the perfect go-to grab on spring mornings when you can’t decide what to throw on while also looking productive. These jackets are known for their comfort and effortlessly assembled look. They also provide a good layer of warmth that is needed on cooler days which is perfect to start off the incoming season.

4. Knee-high boots

A wonderful way to instantly make an outfit more sophisticated is through the addition of knee-high boots. These boots are perfect for a night out or special occasions, but they could also work more casually. These boots can be worn on warmer and cooler spring days, paired nicely with a miniskirt and a variety of shorts with a heavier sweater if needed.

5. Linen Pants

Linen pants are my go-to for casual occasions in spring weather for many reasons. Firstly, these pants are my favourite trade-off for sweatpants as they’re equally comfortable and loose-fitted, but still provide a more put-together look than sweatpants would. The breathable fabric makes these comfortable pants perfect for warmer weather. With a variety of colours and different fits, these pants are a great casual staple for any busy student.

6. Button-downs

Button-downs are the perfect staple article of clothing for the spring due to their versatility. The versatility of these tops allows for a fantastic way to play with your style as they can be worn in a combination of ways: more loosely and casually or more fitted and formal. Furthermore, the coverage from an oversized button-down allows you to experiment with an upcoming summer look.

These are my suggestions based on my favourite way to alter and prepare my wardrobe for spring. I hope these recommendations will be helpful as I know how difficult it is to transition from colder weather and these fashion pieces provide a fun way to do so.

Brianna Willey

Wilfrid Laurier '25

4th year Psychology student at Laurier. In my free time, I enjoy baking, yoga, and writing!