This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

In today’s world of streaming services, there are endless options for what to watch with your family. But sometimes it’s hard to know what shows are appropriate for all ages and will keep everyone entertained. In such a fast-paced world, it can be challenging to find activities that allow families to bond and spend quality time together. However, one activity that has stood the test of time is watching TV shows together. Here are some classic and modern shows that are perfect for family viewing:

Bewitched

This classic show aired from 1964 to 1972. The show follows the life of a witch named Samantha and her mortal husband Darrin. Samantha tries to live a normal life and keep her witchcraft at a minimum around Darrin, and a secret from the rest of the world. However, her nosy mother does not make it easy… The show is filled with classic comedy, magic and a lovable cast of characters that your family is sure to enjoy.

The Brady Bunch

The show aired from 1969 to 1974 and follows the story of a blended family, consisting of a widow and her three daughters, marrying a widower with three sons. The Brady Bunch is a fun, lighthearted comedy, filled with heartwarming moments and a catchy theme song that your family is sure to love.

Three’s Company

If you are looking for a show that is a little more risqué but still appropriate for family viewing, Three’s Company is a great choice. The show aired from 1977 to 1984 and follows the lives of a man living with two female roommates, who constantly find themselves in hilarious misunderstandings. With its physical comedy and lovable characters, Three’s Company is sure to be a hit with your family.

Diff’rent Strokes

This 1980s classic sitcom follows the lives of two African American brothers from Harlem who are adopted by a wealthy white man after their mother passes away. The show tackles issues such as race, adoption and social class in a way that is both informative and entertaining.

Family Ties

This 1980s sitcom follows the lives of the Keaton family, a politically liberal couple and their three children, including their conservative son Alex. With its witty writing and heartwarming family moments, it’s a great show for all ages.

The Nanny

This 1990s sitcom follows a flashy and flamboyant nanny named Fran as she takes care of the children of a wealthy widower. With its over-the-top humour and heartwarming moments, it’s a great show to watch with the family.

Friends

This beloved sitcom follows the lives of six friends living in New York City. The show is known for its relatable characters and hilarious moments, making it a great choice for families who want to enjoy some classic TV together. Plus, you’ll be in the know of so many pop culture references!

The Fresh Prince of Bel Air

This 1990s sitcom follows the life of a young man from Philadelphia who is sent to live with his wealthy aunt and uncle in Bel Air. With its catchy theme song and memorable characters, you are guaranteed to enjoy and a good laugh with the family.

Full House

Full House is a classic 1980s/90s sitcom about a widowed father named Danny who raises his three daughters with the help of his best friend, Joey and his brother-in-law, Jesse. With its wholesome storylines and lovable characters, it’s a great show to watch with the whole family.

Everybody Loves Raymond

This 90s/2000s sitcom follows the lives of a dysfunctional family, including the bickering couple Raymond Barone, a successful sportswriter living on Long Island and his wife Debra. It doesn’t get easier raising three young children when you’ve got your overbearing in-laws living across the street…With its relatable humor and family dynamics, it’s a great show to watch with older kids and adults.

King of Queens

Another 90s/2000s sitcom, starring Kevin James, centers around the life of Doug Heffernan, a delivery driver living in Queens with his wife and father-in-law. This show is also integrated with Everybody Loves Raymond, where the same characters make frequent appearances on each show. The show features plenty of hilarious moments and relatable family dynamics that make it a great choice for family viewing.

Gilmore Girls

This early 2000s dramedy follows the lives of single mother Lorelai Gilmore and her daughter Rory in the fictional town of Stars Hollow, Connecticut. The show is known for its fast-paced dialogue and heartwarming moments, making it a great choice for families who love to laugh and feel all the emotions.

The Office

This mockumentary-style sitcom reports on the lives of employees at the Scranton, Pennsylvania branch of the fictional Dunder Mifflin paper company. The show is known for its awkward humour and relatable characters.

Modern Family

Another modern sitcom that follows the lives of a large, blended family. This 2010s, mockumentary-style sitcom features diverse characters, including a gay couple and their adopted daughter, an older man and his younger wife and stepson and a traditional family with three children. The show explores the complexities of modern family life and provides plenty of laughs along the way.

Schitt’s Creek

This Canadian sitcom follows the wealthy Rose family as they lose everything and are forced to live in a small town they once bought as a joke. The show is known for its heartwarming moments and quirky characters, making it a great choice for families who love a good comedy.

The Simpsons

This long-running animated sitcom follows the lives of a dysfunctional family in the town of Springfield. including parents Homer and Marge and their three children, Bart, Lisa, and Maggie. The show is known for its clever writing and satirical take on American culture and provides entertainment for all ages.

Family Guy

Another animated sitcom, Family Guy follows the lives of the dysfunctional Griffin family, including parents Peter and Lois and their three children, as well as their talking dog and baby. The show is known for its irreverent humor and pop culture references, making it a great choice for families with older children.

In conclusion, there are plenty of great options for shows to watch with your family, whether you’re in the mood for a classic sitcom or a modern drama-comedy. These shows provide entertainment for all ages and offer an opportunity to bond with your family and spark some conversation!

Sabrina DeCosta

Wilfrid Laurier '22

Sabrina is a fourth-year student at Wilfrid Laurier University. When she is not writing, Sabrina is cuddling with her Labradoodle, sketching or obsessing over Gilmore Girls! Sabrina also loves travelling and spending time with her friends and family.